Exploring Paranormal Physics: A Self-Employed Physicist's Guide

• Thread starter Terra2587
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of paranormal activity and the speaker's belief in its existence. They also discuss the possibility of pursuing a career in this field as a physicist and the lack of credibility and funding for such studies. The recommendation is made to instead study the reasons behind people's belief in paranormal activity in the field of psychology. It is also mentioned that discussing paranormal subjects is not allowed on the forum.
Terra2587
Ok, I know first hand what usually happens when someone throws out the word 'paranormal'. But the thing is, I feel there is something happening there. That somehow some anomaly either in the world or our brains is occurring, and frankly I feel it has more to do with the world. However, and I stress this, I don't believe in 'ghosts'. I believe there is enough room out there for all sorts of phenomenon that do not include dead people.

So since I imagine that the chances for getting paid for any work in this field are...slim, I was wondering how far a self employed hopeful physicist should go. Should I just get enough academically to be able to work the problems, or should I try for a phd that I probably won't be able to use professionally? Oh, and all the while being 30 in a few days. Heck of an intro post I know, but not sure where else I can really ask this sort of question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Might I suggest psychology? There you could study the reason people believe paranormal exists and the effects it may have on someone's thoughts and emotions? I doubt as a physicists anyone would take you seriously, nor would there be funding for such a thing.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I agree with TheKracken. Since there are just about no credible scientific studies involving physicists revolving around "paranormal" activity I'd recommend you study why people believe in such things in the first place.

There was some confusion about why this thread was locked. PF rules don't allow for discussion about paranormal subjects, so this thread should have ended after Greg's post. Terra, I highly recommend you follow Greg's advice so that you don't end up wasting a significant amount of time "chasing ghosts" in a futile attempt to find and explain these phenomena.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

I appreciate your curiosity and open-mindedness towards exploring the paranormal. While it may not fall under traditional scientific study, there is always room for exploration and discovery in all areas of the world. It is important to keep an open mind and consider all possibilities, even if they may seem unconventional or controversial.

In terms of your question about pursuing a PhD, I would encourage you to follow your passion and interests. Pursuing higher education in any field can offer valuable knowledge and skills that can be applied in various ways, regardless of whether or not it leads to a traditional career path. You never know where your studies may take you and what opportunities may arise. Additionally, being self-employed allows for more flexibility in how you apply your education and skills.

I would also suggest seeking out other professionals and researchers in the field of paranormal physics to learn from and collaborate with. This can help you develop your ideas and potentially lead to opportunities for funding or publication.

Overall, I support your interest in exploring paranormal physics and encourage you to continue pursuing your interests and education in this area. Science is all about questioning and seeking answers, and there is always room for new perspectives and ideas. Best of luck in your endeavors.

1. What is "Exploring Paranormal Physics" about?

"Exploring Paranormal Physics" is a guide written by a self-employed physicist that delves into the world of paranormal phenomena and their potential connections to traditional physics principles. It discusses various topics, such as telekinesis, telepathy, and extrasensory perception, and how they may be explained or studied through a scientific lens.

2. Is this book meant for scientists or the general public?

This book is written for both scientists and the general public. It presents complex concepts in an accessible way, making it suitable for anyone interested in the intersection of physics and the paranormal. However, it also includes detailed scientific explanations and references that may be of particular interest to scientists.

3. What makes this book different from other books about paranormal phenomena?

Unlike many other books about the paranormal, "Exploring Paranormal Physics" takes a scientific approach to understanding these phenomena. It combines traditional physics theories and principles with theories and experiences related to the paranormal, offering a unique perspective on these topics.

4. Does this book provide proof of the existence of paranormal phenomena?

No, this book does not provide concrete proof of the existence of paranormal phenomena. Instead, it presents theories and evidence that suggest a potential connection between the paranormal and physics. It encourages readers to think critically and draw their own conclusions.

5. Can this book be used for scientific research?

Yes, this book can serve as a valuable resource for scientific research on paranormal phenomena. It presents various experiments and studies that have been conducted in the field and provides a framework for further exploration and investigation. However, it is important to note that this book is not meant to be a comprehensive scientific study on the topic, but rather a guide for further exploration and analysis.