Are Mail Order Chicken Pox Lollipops a Safe Alternative for Immunization?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: The Netherlands does vaccinate on a large scale, I wonder whether the cost of the vaccination program outweighs the benefit?
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is crazy, people would rather risk giving their children chicken pox than a vaccine. This all stems from that bogus vaccine causes autism garbage.

And now people would actually buy dirty lolipops?

Authorities and doctors are warning parents who want to avoid chicken pox vaccines for their children that a new mail-order scheme to share lollipops licked by children infected with the disease as a way to create immunity in their kids is not only unsafe but illegal.
“Can you imagine getting a package in the mail from this complete stranger that you know from Facebook because you joined a group, and say here, drink this purported spit from some other kid?” U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee Jerry Martin told The Associated Press.

News reports from Phoenix’s KPHO-TV and Nashville’s WSMV-TV this week looked into groups forming on social media sites like Facebook that offer ways to get “natural immunity” from chicken pox by deliberately exposing children to the disease.

http://news.yahoo.com/parents-warned-mail-order-chicken-pox-lollipops-194620241.html

Biology news on Phys.org
So dumb people have found a new way to remove themselves from the gene pool. What's bad about that? :approve:

(Chicken pox doesn't kill many people, but IIRC one of its side-effects is sterlity.)

AlephZero said:
So dumb people have found a new way to remove themselves from the gene pool. What's bad about that? :approve:

(Chicken pox doesn't kill many people, but IIRC one of its side-effects is sterlity.)

Loss of gene pool diversity is bad too. Consider hybrid vigour and inbreeding:)

May I ask if instead there was an outbreak of smallpox and a ready supply of lollipops licked by milkmaids infected with cowpox was avaliable, would you lick one? No, not the milkmaid. I mean the lollipop.

Actually, I don't think the virus would survive on a lollipop but I'm not sure so would lick it up in desperation anyway.

Last edited:
jackmell said:
May I ask if instead there was an outbreak of smallpox and a ready supply of lollipops licked by milkmaids infected with cowpox was avaliable, would you lick one? No, not the milkmaid. I mean the lollipop.

Actually, I don't think the virus would survive on a lollipop but I'm not sure so would lick it up in desperation anyway.
I would get a smallpox vaccination and not risk it.

Evo said:
I would get a smallpox vaccination and not risk it.

Can you imagine getting a package in the mail from this complete stranger that you know from ...

Just sayin.

Seriously. Wouldn't this be something that Homeland Security would want to look into?

Seems the lollipop thing is similar to a "pox party" where parents would intentially infect their children with the virus because the virus is less virulent in children than adults. So they're not looking to immunize their children with the lollipop but rather infect them (and by so doing obtain immunity from future exposures) so that they won't be succeptable to it later when it can cause more problems.

Surely it's better to get a vaccine but if none were available, I'm a little sympathetic to this approach.

Last edited:
jackmell said:
Surely it's better to get a vaccine but if none were available, I'm a little sympathetic to this approach.

That's not the case anywhere in the US, as far as I know.

I totally agree that the lollipop idea is really backward. On the other hand, childhood chicken pox is not dangerous right? In the Netherlands it is not part of the vaccine program and about 90% of children get the disease at a young age, only adults that haven't had the disease as a child are vaccinated when there is a special indication like chemotherapy treatment.

The US does vaccinate on a large scale, I wonder whether the cost of the vaccination program outweighs the benefit?

1. What are mail order chicken pox lollipops?

Mail order chicken pox lollipops are lollipops that have been intentionally contaminated with the varicella-zoster virus, the virus that causes chicken pox. They are being marketed as a way to intentionally infect children with the virus in order to build immunity.

2. Are mail order chicken pox lollipops safe?

No, mail order chicken pox lollipops are not safe. Intentionally exposing a child to the varicella-zoster virus can lead to serious complications, including pneumonia, encephalitis, and even death. It is also illegal to ship or receive these types of products through the mail.

3. Why are parents being warned about mail order chicken pox lollipops?

Parents are being warned about mail order chicken pox lollipops because they pose a serious health risk to children. The intentional exposure to the virus can have severe consequences and it is important for parents to understand the dangers of these products.

4. Who is selling mail order chicken pox lollipops?

There have been reports of individuals and companies selling mail order chicken pox lollipops online. These products are often marketed as a "natural" way to build immunity to chicken pox. However, there is no scientific evidence to support their effectiveness and they are not approved by the FDA.

5. What should parents do if they have purchased mail order chicken pox lollipops?

If parents have purchased mail order chicken pox lollipops, they should dispose of them immediately and not allow their child to consume them. They should also consult with their child's pediatrician for advice on how to protect their child from the virus and to discuss safe and effective methods for building immunity to chicken pox. It is also important to report the purchase of these products to the FDA and local health authorities.

Back