Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parity and integration in spherical coordinates

1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    Hello people!
    I have ended up to this integral ##\int_{φ=0}^{2π} \int_{θ=0}^π \sin θ \ \cos θ~Y_{00}^*~Y_{00}~dθ \, dφ## while I was solving a problem.
    I know that in spherical coordinates when ##\vec r → -\vec r## :
    1) The magnitude of ##\vec r## does not change : ##r' → r##
    2) The angles ##θ## and ##φ## change like ##θ' → π-θ## and ##φ' → π+φ##
    3) So parity of spherical harmonics is ##\hat P## ##Y_{lm}(θ,φ)## ##=## ##Y_{lm}(θ',φ')=(-1)^l## ##Y_{lm}(θ,φ)##
    4) Parity of ##\cos θ## and ##\sin θ## are ##\cos θ'## ##=## ##(-1)## ##\cos θ## and ##\sin θ'## ##=## ##\sin θ## respectively.
    This means that in my case the integrated function has Parity equal to ##(-1)## .

So my question is:
    Can I say that this integral is zero because of the odd (=parity is equal to (-1)) integrated funtion? Because in the xy plane when we integrate an odd function ##F(x)=-F(-x)## in a symmetric space (e.g. ##\int_{-a}^a F(x) \, dx## with F being odd) we can say that it is zero without to calculate it.
    If yes, can I do this in general? meaning, if i get a random function in spherical coordinates which depends only from angles θ and φ and i want to integrate it with these limits: ##\int_{φ=0}^{2π} \int_{θ=0}^π randomF(θ,φ) \, dθ \, dφ## , can i find its parity and say if it is zero or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, ##\mathrm{Y}_{00}=1/\sqrt{4 \pi}=\text{const}## and your integral thus is
    $$\propto \int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \sin \vartheta \cos \vartheta=\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \frac{1}{2} \sin(2 \vartheta)= \left .-\frac{1}{4} \cos(2 \vartheta)\right|_0^{\pi}=0.$$

4. Jan 13, 2016 #3
    Ok that was an easy integral but what if i have something more complicated like ##\int_{φ=0}^{2π} \int_{θ=0}^π \sin θ \ \cos θ~Y_{11}^*~Y_{1-1}~dθ \, dφ## ? If we use parity here we see that the parity of the integrated function is (-1) and the integral must be zero! No calculations ! Just used parity !
    My question is not how to solve the integral making calculations . I want to solve it using parity and i want to tell me if my thoughts are correct on how to use parity in order to solve these integrals!
    Thanks btw for your response :)

5. Jan 14, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes you can. Just remember that not every function has definite parity.

6. Jan 14, 2016 #5
    Thank you very much ! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook