Solving Waves on a Metal Rod with kx + Φ

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of solving a question involving the equation ξ = A*cos(ωt + θ)*sin(kx + Φ). The speakers consider two different approaches, the first involving setting cos(kx + Φ) to zero and the second involving finding the displacement at the half-length position. They also discuss the importance of measuring x from the center of the rod and the need to combine the two methods into a single one. It is noted that there may be a mistake in the first approach as it should be cos(kL + Φ) instead of cos(kx + Φ), and the second approach may not be accurate as cos((2n-1)*π) should be -
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
I will post an image right below.
Relevant Equations
All below.
1595537783294.png

I am trying to solve this question by ξ = A*cos(ωt + θ)*sin(kx + Φ)
Anyway, the two initial terms of the product helps nothing (i think), what matters is sin(kx + Φ)
So, i tried by two ways:

First:

The stress is essentially zero on the ends, that is, something like cte*∂ξ/∂x (strain) would be zero, so
L is the length of the rod.

cos(kx + Φ) need to be 0
Φ = (2n-1)*π
kL + Φ = (2n-1)*π

It is not good.

Second:

The half length position would carry a node, so
ξ = A*cos(ωt + θ)*sin(kL/2 + Φ) = 0
KL/2 + Φ = (n)*π
and with this i can not solve without Φ in the expression.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume ξ is displacement. You would find it easier with x measured from the centre of the rod.

Likes LCSphysicist
haruspex said:
I assume ξ is displacement. You would find it easier with x measured from the centre of the rod.
Definitively is easier deal with x measured from the center of the rod, but what is wrong in the above approach?

LCSphysicist said:
Definitively is easier deal with x measured from the center of the rod, but what is wrong in the above approach?
It seems to me you should need to use the knowledge of the state both at the clamped point and one end, so they are not alternative methods. Rather, they should be combined into a single method.
Also
LCSphysicist said:
cos(kx + Φ) need to be 0
Φ = (2n-1)*π
I assume you meant cos(kL + Φ).
I would have thought the free end would have maximum amplitude.
On the other hand, cos((2n-1)*π)=-1, not 0, so you have effectively taken it as max.

1. What is the equation for solving waves on a metal rod?

The equation for solving waves on a metal rod is kx + Φ, where k represents the wave number and x represents the position on the rod. Φ represents the phase constant, which determines the starting point of the wave.

2. How do you determine the wave number (k) for a metal rod?

The wave number (k) for a metal rod can be determined by dividing the wavelength of the wave by 2π. This can also be expressed as k = 2π/λ, where λ is the wavelength of the wave.

3. What is the significance of the phase constant (Φ) in the equation?

The phase constant (Φ) in the equation represents the starting point of the wave. It determines the position on the rod where the wave begins and can affect the amplitude and shape of the wave.

4. How does the amplitude of the wave change as it travels along the metal rod?

The amplitude of the wave on a metal rod remains constant as it travels along the rod, unless there is a change in the properties of the rod or an external force acting on it. This is because the metal rod is a medium that allows the wave to propagate without any loss of energy.

5. Can the equation for solving waves on a metal rod be applied to other materials?

Yes, the equation kx + Φ can be applied to other materials as long as they can support wave propagation. However, the values of k and Φ may vary depending on the properties of the material and the type of wave being studied.