1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Part C of the inner product problem

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    I have attached the solutions of parts a, b, and what I have done for part c.

My part c isn't going to turn out correct and I don't know what is wrong.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not quite following what you are doing for part c, but the Pythagorean Law would be ||1||^2=||p||^2+||1-p||^2 or <1,1>=<p,p>+<1-p,1-p>. Since you know that p=3x/2 you could just compute all the inner products. Or if you had checked in part b that <p,1-p>=0 you could just write 1=(1-p)+p and take the inner product of each side with itself.

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    I didn't see I could use the p in part b. Instead I was using p proving from the law of cosine.

5. Mar 27, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But you are using p=3x/2 in part c. But I don't see anything resembling a law of cosines or a proof there. Try it again. State clearly what you want to prove and give a reason for each step.

6. Mar 27, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In part b you still need to show that p and 1 - p are orthogonal, which is pretty easy to do. From that you'll have p and 1 - p being the legs of a right triangle, and 1 being the hypotenuse.

For the c part do as Dick said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook