Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative of a square root

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I'm using partial derivatives to calculate propagation of error. However, a bit rusty on my calculus.

I'm trying to figure out the partial derivative with respect to L of the equation:

2pi*sqrt(L/g)

(Yep, period of a pendulum). "g" is assumed to have no error. I know I can use the chain rule...

so, 2pi*(L/g)^(1/2) --> 2pi*1/2*(L/g)^(-1/2) , or pi*(L/g)^(-1/2).

I am doing this correctly? Or did I just take the derivative (and not the partial derivative)?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Partial derivative of what w.r.t. L? You haven't provided an equation, just an expression.

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3
    2pi*sqrt(L/g) = T, which is a function of L.

5. Feb 5, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rewrite as T = 2π*(L/g)1/2. Does that give you any ideas? Remember, g is a constant.

6. Feb 5, 2015 #5
    Using the chain rule, I can bring down the 1/2 and subtract 1 from the exponent, so

dL/dT = 1/2*2π*(L/g)-1/2 or dL/dT = π*(L/g)-1/2

Though, now it seems that I'm not treating "g" as a constant.

7. Feb 6, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, factor g out of the square root before taking the derivative.

Technically, you are not using the chain rule. You are using the power rule.

8. Feb 6, 2015 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't you mean dT/dL? As SteamKing said, you can rewrite the original expression with g outside the square root before you differentiate it. If you don't, you will have to use the chain rule. It tells us that there's an extra factor that you didn't include in the quote above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook