1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Partial derivative of potential energy and work

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1
    For a conservative force [itex]\vec{F}=-\vec{\nabla} U \implies dW=-\vec{\nabla}U \cdot d\vec{s}[/itex]

Where [itex]d\vec{s}[/itex] is the infinitesimal vector displacement.

Does the following hold?

[itex]-\frac{\partial U}{\partial \vec{s}}=-\vec{\nabla} U \cdot d\vec{s}=d W[/itex], i.e. the infinitesimal work is minus the directional derivative of [itex]U[/itex] in the direction of [itex]\vec{s}[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2
    No this doesn't make sense, you've written what the spatial derivative of the potential is, its ##\vec{F}## not dW.

4. Apr 3, 2016 #3
    Your equation is wrong. It should read ##dU=\vec{\nabla} U \cdot \vec{ds}=-dW##
    The interpretation is the infinitesimal work in the direction of ##\vec{ds}## is equal to minus the directional derivative of U in the direction of ##\vec{ds}##.

5. Apr 3, 2016 #4
    @jamie.j1989 Thanks for the answer, i just applied the rule that uses nabla for directional derivatives, so how to correctly write the directional derivative?

@Chestermiller Thanks a lot for the reply, where is the exactly the mistake? Is it the fact of not having specified that the infinitesimal work is in the direction of ##\vec{ds}## ? Moreover how is the directional derivative of ##U## written explicitly, if ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial \vec{s}}## is wrong?

6. Apr 3, 2016 #5
    The directional derivative of ##U## is ##\vec{\nabla}U = \hat{i}\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}+\hat{j}\frac{\partial U}{\partial y}+\hat{k}\frac{\partial U}{\partial z}= -\left(\hat{i}F_x +\hat{j}F_y+\hat{k}F_z\right)##

7. Apr 3, 2016 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

No, ##\vec \nabla U## is the gradient of U (a vector). The directional derivative of U along a direction specified by a unit vector ##\hat n## is ##\vec \nabla U \cdot \hat n## (a scalar). If you go a distance ##ds## in the direction of ##\hat n##, then the change in U is ##dU = (\vec \nabla U \cdot \hat n) ds = \vec \nabla U \cdot (\hat n ds) = \vec \nabla U \cdot \vec{ds}##.

8. Apr 3, 2016 #7
    Thanks a lot for the reply, where is the exactly the mistake? Is it the fact of not having specified that the infinitesimal work is in the direction of ##\vec{ds}## ?
    No. It's that you set dU/ds equal to a differential, which, of course, it is not.

Moreover how is the directional derivative of ##U## written explicitly, if ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial \vec{s}}## is wrong?
    If ##\vec{s}## is position vector from an arbitrary origin to a position in space, and ##\vec{s}+\vec{ds}## is a position vector from the origin to an adjacent position in space, then the change in potential U between ##\vec{s}## to ##\vec{s}+\vec{ds}## (in the direction of ##\vec{ds}## is given by:
    $$dU=\vec{\nabla} U\cdot \vec{ds}$$The derivative of U with respect to distance in the direction of ##\vec{ds}## is obtained by dividing by the magnitude of the differential postion vector ##\vec{ds}##:
    $$\frac{dU}{|\vec{ds}|}=\vec{\nabla} U\cdot \left(\frac{\vec{ds}}{|\vec{ds}|}\right)=\vec{\nabla} U\cdot \vec{n}_s$$
    where ##\vec{n}_s## is a unit vector in the direction of ##\vec{ds}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted