Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative question

1. Apr 18, 2014 #1
    Hello,

Wolfram is giving me the required answer however, the steps it uses I find very confusing. Can anyone share some light on how wolfram achieved the correct answer.

As im new to this site, I wont be using any code. I am in the process of writing it up on Latex.

Here is the link for wolframs partial derivative widget

http://www.wolframalpha.com/widget/...tep solution&showAssumptions=1&showWarnings=1

However it keeps changing my function, if the exponential appears on the bottom, can you please use this function

(((1)\(y)^(0.5))))(e^((-x^2-4y^2)\(4y))) WITH RESPECT TO Y

Thankyou everyone, it might seem like an elementary question. The bit I don't understand though is where it says factor out the constants. Its not the factor out the constants but, but the differentiation inside that subsection. That's my main problem

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What does the expression above have to do with the one you entered into Wolframalpha?
    The function you entered into WA was
    $$ \frac{\sqrt{x}}{e^{\sqrt{x}(y^2 + 4x^2)}}$$

Which one are you asking about?

If it's this one -- (((1)\(y)^(0.5))))(e^((-x^2-4y^2)\(4y))) -- the problem we most often run into is the OP using too few parentheses. Here you are using way too many, which makes what you wrote difficult to read.

In a simpler form, it would be (1/y.5)e((-x2 - 4y2)/(4y)

LaTeX can be used for complicated expressions, as below:
    $$ \frac{1}{y^{1/2}}e^{\frac{-x^2 - 4y^2}{4y}}$$

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook