1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative second order

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, I am have a problem with the question displayed below:

upload_2017-2-15_23-33-6.png

Its 6.1 ii) I am really not sure how I am suppose to approach this. I am new to partials, so any advice would be great.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have:
    $$\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{-x}{r^3} $$

using quotient rule:

$$=[\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(-x)(r^3)-(-x)(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}r^3)]/r^6$$

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}r^3=3r^2\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=3r^2*(x/r)=3rx$$

subbing the above into the quotient and simplifying
    I get
    $$\frac{-r^2+3x^2}{r^5}$$

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

might not be the best thing to do. How did you find ##\partial f\over\partial x## ?
    And: was 6 i) allright and clear ? How come 6 ii) is then problematic ?

[edit] Stupid me o:) . Your working is completely correct. Well done...
    'Quotient rule' confused me, but it works just fine. My approach would be to use the chain rule -- with, of course, the same result. Matter of preference, not matter of 'best thing to do'.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  4. Feb 16, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer is correct. It is a matter of taste whether you leave your final numerator as ##3x^2-r^2##, or re-write it as ##2x^2-y^2-z^2##.

BTW: Remove all those offensive bold fonts: it looks like you are yelling at us.

5. Feb 16, 2017 #4
    thank for the responses. I will remove bold next, i did not even notice it was bold.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted