1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives and percent error

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When two resistors R1 and R2 are connected in parallel, their effective resistance R = (R1R2)/(R1+R2). Show that is R1 and R2 are both increased by a small percentage c, then the percentage increase of R is also c.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had dR1/dt=c and dR2/dt=c. Then dF/dt=∂F/∂R1*dR1/dt + ∂F/∂R2*dR2/dt which I then simplified to c(R1^2+R2^2)/(R1+R2)^2, which does not simplify to c so I clearly did something wrong. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Why bring "t" into it at all? t (which usually represents time) has no bearing here. And what is F?

You're given R as a function of two variables R1 and R2.

Find the partial derivatives of R wrt R1, then R2 (hint: they are quite similar (symmetric) in form).

Let c/100 = p (this is the proportional change corresponding to a percentage change of c)

You're given δR1/R1 = δR2/R2 = p, meaning δR1 = pR1 and δR2 = pR2.

What you want to do then is to use this:

δR ≈ (∂R/∂R1)*δR1 + (∂R/∂R2)*δR2

Work through the algebra, simplify to find δR, then divide that by the expression for R to find δR/R, and prove that it's equal to p (meaning that its percentage change is also c).

(Back after a long hiatus for a quick visit, and loving the quick symbols pane. Because I've forgotten all my LaTex! LOL).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook