Partial derivative of angle with regards to vector

In summary, the student is trying to find the derivative of theta with respect to r1, but is not sure if the expression needs to be rewritten.
AlmostSwedish

Homework Statement

Find the partial derivative with regards to vector r1 for the expression:

theta = acos [tex]\frac{((r1-r2).(r3-r2))}{||r1-r2||*||r3-r2||}[/tex]

where "." is the dot product

r1,r2 and r3 are positions in 3D-space. The expression above comes from the definition of the dot product

Homework Equations

r0 = the vector (1,1,1)
r32 = r3-r2
r12 = r1-r2

The Attempt at a Solution

The expression can be rewritten by taking the cosinus of both sides.

Differentiating the left side gives -sin(theta) * [tex]\frac{d theta}{d r1}[/tex]

The right side can be written as f(r) = h(r)/k(r), and which gives the derivative of the form
(h' *k + h *k')/k^2 // Note that I use ' instead of d( )/d r1

h' becomes r0.r32
k' becomes ( || r32|| * (r0.r12) )/||r12||

This gives the right hand side of the equation according to

f ' (r) = [tex]\frac{(r0.r32)*||r12||*||r32||* - \frac{(r12.r32)*||r32||*(r0.r12)}{||r12||}}{(||r12||*||r32||)^2}[/tex]

Thus the original equation becomes

-sin(theta) * d theta/d r1 = f ' (r)

d theta/d r1 = f ' (r)/-sin(theta)

Or alternatively

[tex]\frac{d theta}{d r1}[/tex] = f ' (r)/sqrt(1-f(r)^2)
if we use the derivative of arcos directly. They give the same value.I've checked my expression for f ' (r) using numerical methods, and it is correct. However, the numerical methods give a different answer than the analytical expression for my final expression of [tex]\frac{d theta}{d r1}[/tex]

Can someone help me figure out what's wrong with my solution?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of a quantity like theta with respect to a vector r1 isn't a simple scalar. It depends on the direction r1 moves. Write r1(t)=(r1+t*n) where n is the direction r1 is moving and take the derivative with respect to t. Now you have a well defined derivative and the result will, of course, depend on n.

Dick said:
The derivative of a quantity like theta with respect to a vector r1 isn't a simple scalar. It depends on the direction r1 moves. Write r1(t)=(r1+t*n) where n is the direction r1 is moving and take the derivative with respect to t. Now you have a well defined derivative and the result will, of course, depend on n.

That makes a lot of sense, though I'm starting to suspect that I missinterpreted the problem to begin with.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Quick question, if I take the derivative with respect to an element of r1, e.g x1, instead of r1, do I still have to rewrite the expression?

AlmostSwedish said:
Quick question, if I take the derivative with respect to an element of r1, e.g x1, instead of r1, do I still have to rewrite the expression?

That should be ok. Putting r1=(x1,y1) you should able to find expressions for dtheta/dx1 and dtheta/dy1. They are ordinary partial derivatives.

Dick said:
That should be ok. Putting r1=(x1,y1) you should able to find expressions for dtheta/dx1 and dtheta/dy1. They are ordinary partial derivatives.

Thanks man. If I knew were you live I'd send you a box of cookies.

Related to Partial derivative of angle with regards to vector

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while keeping the other variables constant.

What is the angle with regards to a vector?

The angle with regards to a vector is the measure of the rotation between two vectors, represented by the direction and magnitude of the vector.

How do you calculate the partial derivative of an angle with regards to a vector?

The partial derivative of an angle with regards to a vector can be calculated by taking the dot product of the two vectors and dividing it by the product of their magnitudes.

Why is the partial derivative of angle with regards to vector important?

The partial derivative of angle with regards to vector is important because it helps us understand the relationship between two vectors and how they change with respect to each other.

Can the partial derivative of angle with regards to vector be negative?

Yes, the partial derivative of angle with regards to vector can be negative. This indicates that the angle is decreasing as the vector changes, and the vectors are moving towards being perpendicular to each other.