Understanding Partial Derivatives in Position-Velocity Relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about taking partial derivatives of a function with two variables, x and t, and how it may not make sense in this case. The conversation also mentions the use of the full differentials and the Lagrangian formula, with the suggestion to treat the variables as independent and take the partial derivatives as zero. There is also a discussion about using latex in the conversation.
mwspice
Hi,

I'm a little confused about something. I have an object, and I want to take the partial derivative of its position wrt velocity and vice versa. I'm not sure how to begin solving this problem. Essentially, what I have is this:
## \frac{\partial x}{\partial \dot x} ##
and
## \frac{\partial \dot x}{\partial x} ##
where the position ##x## can be determined by its velocity ##\dot x ## by:
## \int_0^t \! \dot x \, \mathrm{d}t ##

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mw, don't be distressed about not being sure how to begin to solve your problem, no one has figured it out yet. Most likely you'll be faced with a 'probability' of the objects position at any given velocity. I look forward to your reported efforts on the matter.

I'm not sure partial derivatives make sense in this case. When you take partial derivatives of a function f of two variables, say f(x,t), you are essentially pretending the other variable is a constant. In your case, x(dot) is not given as a function of x and t, and x is not given as a function of x(dot) and t. On the other hand, the full differentials make sense, so (apologies no latex):

dx/dx(dot) =dx/dt / dx(dot)/dt = x(dot)/x(double dot)

and

dx(dot)/dx = reciprocal of the above = x(double dot)/x(dot).

davidmoore63@y said:
I'm not sure partial derivatives make sense in this case. When you take partial derivatives of a function f of two variables, say f(x,t), you are essentially pretending the other variable is a constant. In your case, x(dot) is not given as a function of x and t, and x is not given as a function of x(dot) and t. On the other hand, the full differentials make sense, so (apologies no latex):

and

Some help with LaTeX...
Here is the first equation, above.
$$\frac{dx}{d\dot{x}} = \frac{\frac{dx}{dt}}{\frac{d\dot{x}}{dt}} = \frac{\dot{x}}{\ddot{x}}$$

In bare form (unrendered) it looks like this:
$ $\frac{dx}{d\dot{x}} = \frac{\frac{dx}{dt}}{\frac{d\dot{x}}{dt}} = \frac{\dot{x}}{\ddot{x}}$ $
The only difference between the rendered form and the unrendered form is the extra spaces between the $ pairs.

If these are supposed to be partial derivatives, use \partial x etc. instead of dx etc.

ok so i copied your latex into the 'Write Latex code' box, and clicked 'Show Preview' and all it did was copy out the exact same code

davidmoore63@y said:

and

Thanks for the reply!
I think I understand where you're coming from; however, I don't follow why you say that ## x ## is not given as a function of ## \dot x ## and ## t ## because the way I see it, the integral given above is a function of ## \dot x ## and ## t ##

Also, the partial derivative in this case is coming from the Lagrangian formula, with the form I am using given below. I don't think I could change the partial derivatives to total derivatives without messing up the formula, is that correct?
## \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial T}{\partial \dot q_{i}} \right) - \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_{i}} + \frac{\partial V}{\partial q_{i}} + \frac{\partial R}{\partial \dot q_{i}} = Q_i ##

As far as latex, I've always used # instead of $, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference

I would have thought in the Lagrangian framework that you have T(q, qdot, t) and so q, qdot are being treated as independent variables. Hence partial derivative with respect to each other are zero.

Likes mwspice
davidmoore63@y said:
I would have thought in the Lagrangian framework that you have T(q, qdot, t) and so q, qdot are being treated as independent variables. Hence partial derivative with respect to each other are zero.

Thanks, I will try that! I thought about saying that they were 0, but I wasn't sure if that was actually the case since they do have a dependence on each other.

davidmoore63@y said:
ok so i copied your latex into the 'Write Latex code' box, and clicked 'Show Preview' and all it did was copy out the exact same code
I'm not sure what you're doing. To get this -- $ $\frac{dx}{d\dot{x}} = \frac{\frac{dx}{dt}}{\frac{d\dot{x}}{dt}} = \frac{\dot{x}}{\ddot{x}}$ $ -- to render correctly, remove the space between each pair of $ characters.

With the extra spaces removed, this is what you get:
$$\frac{dx}{d\dot{x}} = \frac{\frac{dx}{dt}}{\frac{d\dot{x}}{dt}} = \frac{\dot{x}}{\ddot{x}}$$

got it mark44 thanks

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is represented by the symbol ∂ and is calculated by taking the derivative of the function with respect to the specific variable.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while a partial derivative measures the rate of change with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. In other words, a partial derivative is a way of looking at the slope of a function in a specific direction.

3. How are partial derivatives used in real life?

Partial derivatives are used in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to optimize systems, analyze rates of change, and make predictions. For example, partial derivatives are used in economics to analyze how changes in one variable, such as price, affect another variable, such as demand.

4. Can a function have more than one partial derivative?

Yes, a function can have multiple partial derivatives. This is because a function can have multiple variables, and each variable can have a different rate of change. For example, a function with two variables, x and y, would have two partial derivatives: one with respect to x and one with respect to y.

5. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

The main difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative is that a total derivative takes into account the change in all variables, while a partial derivative only considers the change in one variable. This means that a total derivative is a more comprehensive measure of a function's overall rate of change, while a partial derivative only looks at a specific direction.