1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives transformation

1. Jan 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    AF4D0A34-5C5A-4476-8592-E689D996A600.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    included in the first picture

3. The attempt at a solution
    A5BFD7D8-46E4-4F00-8B23-05386C302822.jpg

i feel confident in my answer to part "a". i pretty much just did what the u and v example at the top of the page did. but for part "b" i tried to distribute and collect like terms and what not and i ended up with a huge mess. so i can anyone tell me if im on the right track. and that the end product should like look a huge mess of terms.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

##\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} \neq \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)^2##
    You have to apply the derivative twice.

4. Jan 23, 2015 #3
    so i figured out a solution and i thought i would add it here in case someone googling for information stumbles upon this thread.
    F4A0A850-BBAF-4002-9672-6FAB2AB24269.jpg

i get from the second step to the third step (where i am left only with derivatives and a c^2) using the definition of gamma given to me and some rigorous algebra.
    took me a solid two days to figure this out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted