Partial Fraction Decomposition—Multiple Variables

In summary, the best approach to solving the partial-fraction decomposition of the given expression is to write it as a sum of fractions with the factors in the denominator as the individual denominators. Then, equate this expression to the given expression and solve for the coefficients A and B. This method is similar to the third entry in the table, where each distinct factor in the denominator corresponds to a term in the decomposition.
END
What's the best approach to solving the partial-fraction decomposition of the following expression?

$$\frac{1}{(a-y)(b-y)}$$

The expression is not of the following forms:

upload_2014-12-4_18-39-1.png

But I know the solution is

$$= \frac{1}{(a-b)(y-a)}-\frac{1}{(a-b)(y-b)}$$

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-4_18-40-32.png
    upload_2014-12-4_18-40-32.png
    7 KB · Views: 1,888
  • upload_2014-12-4_18-42-39.png
    upload_2014-12-4_18-42-39.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,112
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't use such tables. Any time I want to do a partial fraction decomposition, I just write (e.g.) [itex] \frac{1}{(a-y)(b-y)}=\frac{A}{a-y}+\frac{B}{b-y} [/itex] and then determine A and B.
Anyway, if you multiply the factors you'll see that its in fact in the form of the third entry in the table!

Likes Abscissas
What the table is saying is the for each distinct (i.e., not repeated) factor (ax + b) in the denominator, you'll have a term ##\frac{A}{ax + b}## in the decomposition. So ##\frac{1}{(a - y)(b - y)}## results in ##\frac{A}{a - y} + \frac{B}{b - y}##.

Equate the two expressions and solve for A and B, which is more or less what Shyan said.

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used in mathematics to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. This is done by expressing the function as a sum of its individual terms, each with its own denominator.

2. When is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is commonly used in integration, solving differential equations, and simplifying complex algebraic expressions.

3. Can partial fraction decomposition be used for functions with multiple variables?

Yes, partial fraction decomposition can be used for functions with multiple variables. The process remains the same, but the decomposition will result in terms with multiple variables.

4. How is partial fraction decomposition solved for functions with multiple variables?

The process for solving partial fraction decomposition for functions with multiple variables is the same as for single variable functions. The function is first factored into its individual terms, and then the coefficients of each term are determined by equating the coefficients of each variable on both sides of the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to partial fraction decomposition for multiple variable functions?

Partial fraction decomposition can become more complex for functions with multiple variables, as there may be more terms and variables to consider. In some cases, it may not be possible to fully decompose the function into simpler terms.