Partial Fractions (Laplace Transform, complex roots)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse Laplace Transform using partial fractions. The question is whether the real and complex numbers should be treated separately when determining the constants. The solution is to multiply both sides by (s+1-sqrt(3)i)(s+1+sqrt(3)i) to get the real and imaginary parts equal to 1 and 0 respectively.
sandy.bridge
Hello all,
Say one wants to find the inverse Laplace Transform of a function, and the method for attaining the solution is executed via partial fractions. Do the real numbers go with the complex numbers when determining the constants of partials? Perhaps this is wordy. I'll provide a theoretical example:

Say we have:
[tex]\frac{A}{s+1-\sqrt{3}j}+\frac{B}{s+1+\sqrt{3}j}[/tex] where A+B=s+2.

Do we say:
[tex]A(1+\sqrt{3}i)+B(1-\sqrt{3}i)=2[/tex]
or are the complex numbers treated separately?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're trying to find the partial fraction decomposition of 1/(s^2 + 2s + 4), which is what i think you're doing here, you should get

[tex]\frac{A}{s + 1 - \sqrt{3} i} + \frac{B}{s + 1 + \sqrt{3} i} = \frac{1}{(s + 1 - \sqrt{3} i) (s + 1 + \sqrt{3} i)}[/tex]

Multiply both sides by (s+1-sqrt(3)i)(s+1+sqrt(3)i) to get the right side as just 1. Then you'll have the real part of the left side equal to 1, and the imaginary part equal to 0. That should give you two equations for A and B.

A+ iB= C+ iD if and only if A= C and B= D.

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used in mathematics to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. This allows for easier integration as well as solving for unknown variables.

2. What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze systems and solve differential equations.

3. How are partial fractions used in the Laplace Transform?

In the Laplace Transform, partial fractions are used to simplify the transformed function into a sum of simpler functions. This allows for easier manipulation and solution of the transformed equation.

4. What are complex roots in partial fractions?

Complex roots in partial fractions refer to the roots of a polynomial that involve imaginary numbers. These roots often appear in the denominator of a rational function and require special techniques to handle.

5. How do you solve for unknown coefficients in partial fractions with complex roots?

To solve for unknown coefficients in partial fractions with complex roots, the method of undetermined coefficients is typically used. This involves equating the coefficients of each term on both sides of the equation and solving a system of equations to find the unknown coefficients.