Partial of a Sine where the PHASE is the variable?

In summary, taking the partial derivative of the function A0sin(w0*t - B*z) with respect to z results in -A0Bcos(w0*t - B*z). The chain rule must be used in this case, as the function is defined in terms of two variables.
HydroGuy

Homework Statement

For example: the function is A0sin(w0*t - B*z)

If I take the partial derivative with respect to z, how do you go about this? In my years at uni, I don't know if this has ever come up.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial thoughts are that it is either 0, or to use the chain rule, although I'm having trouble thinking of how I would do that in this case. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that your function is defined a f(t, z) = A0sin(w0*t - B*z)

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}~=~f_t(t,z) = A_0~cos(w_0t - Bz)*w_0[/tex]
That last factor is the partial of (w0*t - B*z) with respect to t. The only difference between what I've done and what you want is that you want the partial of the same expression with respect to z. Both partials use the chain rule.

Er... nevermind. I think you just neglect the first part since we're only concerned with the z variable, and treat it as a sin(-B*z), right?

No, that's not how the chain rule works. If your function is truly a function of two variables, which it seems to be, you need to take the partial as I did, only you want the partial with respect to z, not the one with respect to t.

Yes I understand that, but since I'm taking the partial with respect to z, the answer would be...

-B*sin(w0*t - Bz)

I didn't explain myself clearly, that's why your confused. I think that we agree however.

Close. You forgot the A0.

1. What is the definition of a partial of a sine?

A partial of a sine refers to a portion of the graph of a sine function. It is typically represented by a curve that starts at the origin and oscillates up and down.

2. How is the phase of a sine function related to its graph?

The phase of a sine function is the horizontal shift of the graph, and it is represented by the variable "x" in the function. It determines where the curve begins on the x-axis.

3. What happens to the graph of a sine function when the phase is changed?

When the phase of a sine function is changed, the entire graph shifts horizontally. This means that the starting point of the curve will be different, but the shape and amplitude of the curve will remain the same.

4. Can the phase of a sine function be negative?

Yes, the phase of a sine function can be negative. This means that the graph will shift to the left, towards the negative direction on the x-axis.

5. How does the phase affect the period of a sine function?

The phase does not affect the period of a sine function. The period is determined by the coefficient of the variable "x" in the function, and it remains the same regardless of the phase value.