Particle Dynamics Problem (kinematics)

In summary: No, you don't have to determine the launch speed. That will be determined by the problem you are trying to solve. You only need to know the initial speed and the time it takes to jump the horizontal distance.In summary, you have to determine the initial speed and the time it takes to jump the horizontal distance.
aligator11
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Template is shown
Summary: Mechanics problem related with Calculus (differential equations)

Hi everyone, I would like some help in that task, if anyone would be willing to help :) Namely I have a problem from particle dynamics. "D:" means given info... so, D: m,g,h,b, miu. We're looking for v0 and S as given on the diagram. We need to work out differential equation problems for that task and need to have initial conditions clearly stated.

Underneath the diagram you can see the forces I have already assigned onto the particle body diagrams.

Thanks for all the help I can get from you guys! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi aligator11. Welcome to PF!

It would help if you would describe what you are trying to do. It would be just a projectile motion problem if all you wanted to determine is the launch speed. If you want to determine S as well, we would have to know its initial speed. Can you give us the exact wording?

v0 (launch speed) is determined by the projectile motion part of the problem. So that is the first thing you have to determine. Express distance fallen as a function of time. That gives you the time required to jump the horizontal distance. Work out launch speed from that.

Assuming the initial speed is 0 (it starts at rest), express horizontal speed, v, as a function of acceleration and time. Then express distance in terms of acceleration and time.

AM

Yes the starting speed (1st initial speed) at the beginning is 0 but we need to find v0, which is the initial speed just before the jump. So that would be problematic. I was trying to reorganize the data the best I could. In terms of the actual wording of the problem the only thing i got was the diagram I posted above, that's it. And of course the given data "D:..." and the components I have to find "?:...". Also we know that at the point where I have my coordinate system, v0=Vx so the horizontal component of velocity which we will probably use in regards with integration of the "jumping" part, system.

So what is the maximum time that the body has to make the jump? What happens if it takes longer than that?

AM

1. What is particle dynamics problem (kinematics)?

Particle dynamics problem, also known as kinematics, is the study of the motion of particles without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of particles over time.

2. What are the key concepts in particle dynamics problem (kinematics)?

The key concepts in particle dynamics problem include displacement, velocity, acceleration, time, and distance. These concepts are used to describe the motion of particles and can be represented mathematically using equations.

3. How is particle dynamics problem (kinematics) different from particle dynamics problem (dynamics)?

Particle dynamics problem (kinematics) only focuses on the motion of particles without considering the forces that cause the motion, while particle dynamics problem (dynamics) takes into account the forces and their effects on the particles' motion.

4. What is the importance of studying particle dynamics problem (kinematics)?

Studying particle dynamics problem (kinematics) is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of motion and how particles move in different scenarios. This knowledge is essential in various fields such as physics, engineering, and even everyday life.

5. What are some real-life examples of particle dynamics problem (kinematics)?

Some real-life examples of particle dynamics problem (kinematics) include the motion of a car on a straight road, a ball thrown into the air, and a rollercoaster moving along its track. These scenarios can be analyzed using the concepts of displacement, velocity, and acceleration to understand the particles' motion.