1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in an electric field- formulae suggestions.

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    1. A particle of charge q and rest mass [tex]m_0[/tex] is accelerated from rest at t=0 in a uniform electric field of magnitude E. All other forces are negligible in comparison to the electric field force. Show that after a time t the relativistic expression for the speed of the particle is:

[tex] v=\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I think the equations relevant here have got to be [tex]E_k=(\gamma-1)m_0c^2[/tex] and [tex] E=\frac{F}{q} [/tex].

I've tried rearranging the above equations and substituting them into each other but I can't get anything good. Does anyone know any other useful equations that I might be able to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Alpha&Omega! :smile:

(how come you have two different names? :confused:)
    Hint: with that v, what is (v/c)/√(1 - v2/c2) ? :wink:

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    I felt insecure. XD

Do you mean as a physical quantity?

I would just do this:

[tex]\frac{\frac{v}{c}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\frac{v^2}{c^2}}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}-1[/tex]

Is this what you meant? =S

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No :biggrin:, I meant what is (v/c)/√(1 - v2/c2) if [tex] v=\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}[/tex] ? :wink:

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5
    Ah, darn. Let me see:

[tex]\frac{{\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}}{c}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}})^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{{\frac{c^2}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(\frac{c^2}{{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}})}{c^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{{\frac{c^2}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}}}{\sqrt{-\frac{m_0^2c62}{q^2E^2t^2}}}[/tex]

Ummm, am I doing it correctly? I've got a complex number as the denominator! =S

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

uhhh? whadya do? :confused:

should be qEt/m0c :wink:

8. Mar 27, 2009 #7
    img040.jpg

magic!

This may sound weird, but how did you know to use [tex]\frac{\frac{v}{c}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]?

9. Mar 27, 2009 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because I knew that m0(v/c)/√(1 - v2/c2) is the … ? :smile:

(btw, it would have save a lot of paper and time if you'd written X, say, instead of that fraction! :wink:)

10. Mar 27, 2009 #9
    The momentum divided by c?

So if momentum is MeV/c then in this equation we have MeV/c2 which is the mass!

(I know it would have saved trees, but for some reason I decided to do it this long and complicated way =D).

So I have to work from this equation to the equation posted in the thread.

I just tried it and I noticed that the question doesn't mention whether the applied force is parallel to the x axis or perpendicular to it. Which expression for relativistic force should I use?

11. Mar 27, 2009 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup! :biggrin:

So the question is asking you to prove that after time t the momentum is qEt …

what principle of physics would you use to do that? :wink:

uhh? :confused: the x-axis is wherever you want it to be

12. Mar 27, 2009 #11
    Would it be an integral of an expression for the force with respect to time?

In my book it has two expressions for relativistic force. One is [tex]F=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}ma[/tex] if it's perpendicular to the x axis and the other is [tex]F=\frac{1}{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^\frac{3}{2}}ma[/tex] if the force is in the same direction as the field.

13. Mar 29, 2009 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was thinking more along the lines of "Force = …"

(work backwards from the answer! :wink:)
    ah …
    so the velocity will always be in the same direction as E :smile:

btw, I don't normally approve of "relativistic mass", but in this case I find it easier to remember the equations as

Fperp = mrela

Fpara = mrela/(1 - v2/c2)

so I remember the perpendicular force equation as being the same as Newton's :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook