Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Particle in an Electromagnetic Field

1. Jan 27, 2017 #1
    Using the Lagrangian : L = ½mv^2 - qφ + qAv

What is the physical intuition of Av ? I know that A is the magnetic vector potential and that v is the velocity of the charged particle. I just don't know what their dot product means physically .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

I find your expression hard to read/interpret. Fortunately, it's all chewed out thoroughly here . With the 'explanation':
    In other words: if you start with the Lorentz force law and do the math backwards (ahem) you (can) end up with this form for the Lagrangian.

"It works" is a also a good argument for a physicist ( I try to avoid the word intuition )

4. Jan 28, 2017 #3
    Well, 1/2mv^2 is kinetic energy of the particle , qφ is the coulomb potential of electricity . So we know what the other components of the equations are. So my question really is what does the term qvA mean ? It's something to do with magnetism, but what exactly ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted