Particle in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum speed of a 1kg object attached to a horizontal spring. The spring is initially stretched by 0.100m and the object is released from rest. The next time the speed of the object is zero is 0.500s later. The solution involves finding the frequency of the oscillation, which is 1 Hz, and then using the formula Vmax = Aω to find the maximum speed, which is 0.628m/s. The mistake made by the person was assuming the object was moving vertically instead of horizontally.
Willjeezy

Homework Statement

Not exactly sure why a time value of 0.500s is given, but I am positive it is why my answer isn't correct:

Q. a 1kg object is attached to a horizontal spring. The spring is initially stretched by 0.100m and the object is released from rest there. It proceeds to move without friction. The next time the speed of the object is zero is 0.500s later. What is the maximum speed of the object?

Homework Equations

Vmax = Aω
ω=√(k/m)
Fs=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

Given:
t = 0.5s
Amplitude: 0.100m
m: 1kg

I can find k:
Fs=-kx
mg = -kx
(1kg * -9.8) = -k (0.100m)
k = 98 N/m

Find ω
ω=√(k/m)
= √(98/1)
= 9.90

Vmax = Aω
=(0.1)(9.90)
=0.990 m/s.

However, the answer is 0.628m/s. I don't understand the purpose of "the next time the velocity is zero is 0.5s later" I interpret that as:

"it to 0.5seconds to reach negative amplitude", which to my understanding isn't needed?

Physics news on Phys.org
wait I see my problem, it is moving horizontally not vertically so mg = -kx doesn't apply here.
v = m / s
= 0.2m / 0.5s
= 0.4 m/s

don't know how to go about finding acceleration from here.

Think. If the next time the speed is zero is in 0.5 second, then what is the frequency of the oscillation?

to anyone wondering in the future...

the mass was actually the unneeded info:
ω=2∏f

frequency is = # cycles / s
= 1 hz in this situation

then use Vmax

SOLVED. Thanks.

The time value of 0.500s is given to provide a specific point in time for the problem. In this case, it is the time at which the object's velocity is zero. This information is necessary to calculate the maximum speed of the object.

Your solution is correct in calculating the maximum speed, but the answer given (0.628m/s) may be taking into account the direction of the object's motion. Since the object is initially released from rest at the stretched position, it will first move towards the equilibrium point and then back towards the stretched position. Therefore, the maximum speed may be referring to the speed at the stretched position, which would be 0.628m/s. This is why the time value of 0.500s is important, as it allows us to calculate the speed at a specific point in time.

Additionally, the statement "the next time the speed of the object is zero is 0.500s later" means that the object's velocity will reach zero again after 0.500s from the initial release. This is because the object will oscillate back and forth between the stretched and equilibrium positions, with its velocity reaching zero at these points. This information is useful in understanding the motion of the object and can also be used to confirm the calculated maximum speed.

In summary, your solution is correct and the given time value is important for calculating the maximum speed at a specific point in time and understanding the motion of the object.

1. What is a particle in simple harmonic motion?

A particle in simple harmonic motion is a type of vibration or oscillation where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position. This means that as the particle moves away from equilibrium, the restoring force increases, and as it moves closer to equilibrium, the restoring force decreases.

2. What factors determine the period and frequency of a particle in simple harmonic motion?

The period and frequency of a particle in simple harmonic motion are determined by the mass of the particle, the spring constant of the system, and the amplitude of the oscillation. The period is directly proportional to the mass and the spring constant, and inversely proportional to the amplitude. The frequency is the inverse of the period.

3. How is the energy of a particle in simple harmonic motion related to its amplitude?

The total energy of a particle in simple harmonic motion is constant and is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude. This means that as the amplitude decreases, the energy of the particle also decreases. This relationship is known as the law of conservation of energy.

4. What is the equation for the displacement of a particle in simple harmonic motion?

The displacement of a particle in simple harmonic motion can be described by the equation x = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

5. How does simple harmonic motion differ from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is characterized by a sinusoidal pattern and a constant restoring force. In contrast, other types of motion, such as linear or circular motion, do not have a constant restoring force and may have different patterns of motion. Additionally, simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion, meaning that it repeats itself over a certain time interval.