1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle is located a distance x meters

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When a particle is located a distance x meters from the origin, a force of cos(PIx/3) newtons acts on it. How much work is done in moving the particle from x = 1 to x =2? Interpret your answer by considering the work done from x =1 to x = 1.5 and from x = 1.5 to x = 2

2. Relevant equations

So the integral isn't a problem.
    If you graph this function I'm sure you know the sign change where cos(pix/3) dips below the x axis at 1.5. I'm just wondering if I should give my answer as the sum of the neg work and positive work. If the work is negative doesn't it mean it is on the opposite direction? But I still say oh this has done. Neg + pos work

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since they are talking about "work" I think they expect a more "physical" explanation. Here, you are doing work from x= 1 to x= 3/2 but then works is being done from x= 3/2 to 2. It's like doing work to push an object to the top of a hill, then getting work out by allowing the object to run down the other side.

4. Sep 12, 2013 #3
    Ah so rolling a rock up a hill and letting it roll the other side? Do I consider the negative work as postive so I add the area above the graph and the area below for total work?

5. Sep 12, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you do NOT "consider the negative work as positive". The total work done is the "area above the graph minus the area below the graph"- in other words precisely [itex]\int_1^2 f(x)dx[/itex]

6. Sep 12, 2013 #5
    Yeah so you do no work then with this problem. The integrals are equal above and below

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted