Particle Physics Grad School with NRE Degree - Is it Doable?

In summary, the speaker is a undergraduate Nuclear and Radiology Engineering major who is considering going to grad school for physics after graduation. They are currently taking classes in Quantum Mechanics and Mathematical Physics and are wondering if it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in particle physics with their NRE degree. They are also asking for opinions and any recommended supplemental classes. They mention that they have completed one term of Quantum Mechanics and plan to take E&M and Classical Mechanics in the future. They are also excited to only have a few more classes to add to their schedule.
Winglessfairy
Hello!

I'm currently a Junior, undergraduate Nuclear and Radiology Engineering major at Georgia Tech, and I'm wondering about what comes after graduation~

I was originally thinking about going into grad school and doing Fusion research, but the past few months I've been more and more interested in particle physics;

My adviser told me it is possible to go into grad school for physics with an NRE degree (if I study my arse off for the GRE, that is), but I'm wanting to know if that's correct/actually doable.

I've just about finished term one of Quantum Mechanics in addition to my regular NRE courses, and I'm signed up for Quantum II in the spring~
I've also been taking Mathematical Physics, which while not really teaching any physics has been teaching me the more in-depth mathematics that i haven't really used in my engineering courses.

So...is it doable to go into grad school for particle physics with an NRE degree, and if so are there any specific supplement classes I should take in addition to Quantum?
Opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
In order,

0) Quantum (already being done)
1) Undergrad E&M
2) Classical mechanics
3) Statistical mechanics

Thanks much! =D
I'm trying to get into Emag next term, so then just the last two to add~
woohoo, that was less classes than I would have thought~

Related to Particle Physics Grad School with NRE Degree - Is it Doable?

1. Can I pursue a graduate degree in particle physics with a non-physics related undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in particle physics with a non-physics related undergraduate degree. Many graduate programs in particle physics accept students from various backgrounds such as engineering, mathematics, and computer science. However, having a strong foundation in physics is beneficial and some programs may require additional coursework in physics before admission.

2. What is the typical coursework for a particle physics graduate program?

The coursework for a particle physics graduate program typically includes advanced courses in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, and particle physics. Other courses may include topics in cosmology, astrophysics, and advanced mathematics. Additionally, students may also have the opportunity to participate in research projects and seminars.

3. Are there any specific skills or experiences that are helpful for success in a particle physics graduate program?

Strong mathematical skills, particularly in calculus and linear algebra, are essential for success in a particle physics graduate program. Familiarity with computer programming and data analysis is also beneficial. In addition, research experience in a relevant field, such as particle physics or high energy physics, can help strengthen an application to a graduate program.

4. What career opportunities are available after completing a particle physics graduate program?

Graduates with a particle physics degree have a wide range of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Many pursue careers as researchers and professors at universities and research institutions. Others work in government agencies, national laboratories, or private companies in fields such as energy, defense, and technology.

5. Is there financial support available for students pursuing a particle physics graduate degree?

Many graduate programs in particle physics offer financial support to their students in the form of teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. These opportunities can provide students with a stipend, tuition coverage, and valuable research experience. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.