1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Physicist?

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    Hello!

I'm currently a Junior, undergraduate Nuclear and Radiology Engineering major at Georgia Tech, and I'm wondering about what comes after graduation~

I was originally thinking about going into grad school and doing Fusion research, but the past few months I've been more and more interested in particle physics;

My adviser told me it is possible to go into grad school for physics with an NRE degree (if I study my arse off for the GRE, that is), but I'm wanting to know if that's correct/actually doable.

I've just about finished term one of Quantum Mechanics in addition to my regular NRE courses, and I'm signed up for Quantum II in the spring~
    I've also been taking Mathematical Physics, which while not really teaching any physics has been teaching me the more in-depth mathematics that i haven't really used in my engineering courses.

So...is it doable to go into grad school for particle physics with an NRE degree, and if so are there any specific supplement classes I should take in addition to Quantum?
    Opinions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In order,

0) Quantum (already being done)
    1) Undergrad E&M
    2) Classical mechanics
    3) Statistical mechanics

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3
    Thanks much! =D
    I'm trying to get into Emag next term, so then just the last two to add~
    woohoo, that was less classes than I would have thought~

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook