1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle statics - A bridge span

1. Aug 18, 2006 #1
    Heres the problem.

A bridge span is 5m high and 20m long. Find the verticle force and the horizontal thrust on each of the piers P in terms of weight suspended from the center of the span.

I really hope you can understand the geometry of the problem without the drawing(there was a drawing in the book). Imagine the two piers as stumps that are 20m apart. From the upper corner of each stump, on the side facing the other pier, exits a rod in the direction of the other pier and up. The two rods meet at a height of 5m right between the two piers, so the cathete that forms an angle with the rod(hypothenuse) is 10 m long.

I will name the weight F.

Heres how I tried solving:

I reasoned that the rod would transfer the force of the weight to the pier by means of a force which is parallel to the rod.

I found that force by first finding the angle between the 10m length and the rob using tan w = 5 / 10.

With the angle I find the componant parallel to the rod:

sin w = F / F(parallel to rod) --> F(parallel to rod) = F / sin w

I reason that the horizontal componant that Im searching for is the x componant of F(parallel to rod).

I find it by cos w = F(horizontal) / F(parallel to rod)

=H(horizontal) * sin w / F

which becomes: F(horizontal) = (cos w / sin w) F

= 2 F ; because cos / sin = 1 / tan, and tan w = 0.5

I know for certain that my answer is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not seeing the geometry from the description, and I imagine that others aren't either. Could you perhaps scan the figure and attach it to your next post?

4. Aug 22, 2006 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

is this a triangle truss with base 20 m and height 5 m? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?