Particles with neutral charges but not affected by the weak or strong force

Are there any particles which have a neutral electrical charge and are not affected by the weak or strong nuclear force? Thank you for your time and please excuse me if I'm being very ignorant!

Answers and Replies

There's W and Z bosons if I remember correctly

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Syndicate, if you don't know something it is not necessary to reply.

Einstein's Cat, such a particle would be sterile and thus undetectable. You can hypothesize such particles, but you can't experimentally detect them.

mathman
Science Advisor
W particles are charged. W and Z are carriers for weak force.

To answer the original question - dark matter.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Einstein's Cat, such a particle would be sterile and thus undetectable. You can hypothesize such particles, but you can't experimentally detect them.
I would argue against the last sentence here. You cannot hypothesise anything which cannot be experimentally detected within a scientific framework.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
But if I said there were no such particles someone else would quibble, "but what if there were singlets under all gauge groups?" Sometimes you just can't win.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
To answer the original question - dark matter.
Of course we don't know for sure, but it is possible - maybe even likely - that DM is charged under the weak interaction.

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Syndicate, if you don't know something it is not necessary to reply.

If the particles have mass, they could be detected by their gravitational effects.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
But if I said there were no such particles someone else would quibble, "but what if there were singlets under all gauge groups?" Sometimes you just can't win.
But gauge singlets (effectively right handed neutrinos) may be detectable (a priori) through Yukawa interactions with left-handed neutrinos.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
And let the quibbling begin!