Particular material that becomes strained under electrostatic

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a material that can be strained under electrostatic or magnetic fields and the interest in studying the electrostriction effect. The person has looked into piezoelectric materials but is specifically looking for a non-crystalline organic polymer. The suggestion of PVDF is made as it is a piezoelectric polymer. However, the person has not found one yet.
sol66
I am currently looking for a particular material that becomes strained under electrostatic or magnetic fields. I am new to the world of solid state physics and I was interested on doing a research project on the studies of the electrostriction effect.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org

sol66 said:
I am currently looking for a particular material that becomes strained under electrostatic or magnetic fields. I am new to the world of solid state physics and I was interested on doing a research project on the studies of the electrostriction effect.

Thank You

Have you looked into piezoelectric material?

Zz.

Yes I have, I'm sorry if I wasn't specific. I was looking for a material that was not a crystal like structure, but more of an organic polymer.

I also realized, that none crystal like structures are not under the branch of solid state physics. To be extremely specific I'm looking for a polymer that can be looped, and when an electrostatic field is passed through it, the loop will shrink. Sorry if I'm being dumb, thanks for the replies.

sol66 said:
Yes I have, I'm sorry if I wasn't specific. I was looking for a material that was not a crystal like structure, but more of an organic polymer.

Try PVDF. It's a piezoelectric polymer (polyvinylidene fluoride). And organic, I suppose.

Sorry, i haven't found one yet... :-)

http://happycalmfocused.com/resources/bsr-review.php"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is electrostatic strain?

Electrostatic strain refers to the deformation or distortion of a material under the influence of an electric field. This can occur when the material has a high dielectric constant, or ability to store electric charge, and is subjected to high voltage or electric fields.

2. How does electrostatic strain occur?

Electrostatic strain occurs when the electric field exerts a force on the charged particles within the material, causing them to move and rearrange. This movement can result in a change in the material's shape or dimensions, leading to strain.

3. What types of materials are most susceptible to electrostatic strain?

Materials with high dielectric constants, such as ceramics, polymers, and some metals, are most susceptible to electrostatic strain. These materials have a greater ability to store electric charge and are more easily affected by electric fields.

4. What are the potential consequences of electrostatic strain?

The consequences of electrostatic strain can vary depending on the type of material and the magnitude of the electric field. In some cases, it may cause permanent deformation or damage to the material. In other cases, it may lead to changes in the material's electrical properties or affect its performance in electronic devices.

5. How can electrostatic strain be controlled or prevented?

Electrostatic strain can be controlled or prevented by using materials with low dielectric constants, minimizing exposure to high electric fields, and using proper insulation and grounding techniques. In some cases, mechanical reinforcements or design modifications may also be necessary to prevent strain in a material.