1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pathlength Difference from two waves

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two slits separated by a distance of d = 0.12mm are located at a distance of D = 780mm from a screen. The screen is oriented parallel to the plane of the slits. The slits are illuminated by a coherent light source with a wavelength of lambda = 549E-6 mm. The interference pattern shows a peak at the center of the screen (m=0) and then alternating minima and maxima.
    7. [1pt]
    What is the pathlength difference between the two waves from the two slits at the first (m=1) maximum on the screen?

2. Relevant equations
    d*sintheta = m*wavelength
    sintheta = y(dist bt two maxima) / D(distance to screen)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really confused about what the "pathlength difference" refers to. It doesn't specify it in the book. I know the angles take different paths to get to the same point because of the distance inbetween them, but is it asking for an angle???
    I solved the problem for y using the above equations, and at the first maxima (m=1), y(distance between the two maxima) is 0.0036m. But I don't know where to go from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2
    So....I think I just realized that pathlength difference refers to "m", but what are the units??

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    Ah, just figured it out...you have to use "m" and multiply it by the wavelength.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook