1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[PChem] Van de Waals Partial Derivative

1. Aug 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find [tex](\frac{dV}{dp})_{n,T}[/tex] for the Van de Waals gas law

2. Relevant equations

Van de Waals gas law: [tex](\frac{p+an^2}{V^2})(V-nb)=nRT[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I just started doing problems like these so I would like to know if I am doing them right...

What I did was I took the implicit derivative of dV WRT dp for both sides...

[tex](\frac{V^2-(p+an^2)2V(\frac{dV}{dp})}{V^4}(V-nb)+(\frac{p+an^2}{V^2})(\frac{dV}{dp})=0[/tex]

...Solve for dV/dp and I ended up getting...

[tex]\frac{dV}{dp}=\frac{V-nb}{\frac{2(p+an^2)(V-nb)}{V}-p+an^2}[/tex]

...Can anyone verify this is correct? Or if it is not correct, can you verify I took the right approach? I haven't done calculus in a while before this course, but is this the correct approach to implicit differentiation? Differentiate p as normal but tack on a "dV/dp" after differentiating a V?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here is what I get using Maple:

> f:=n*R*T=(V-n*b)*(p+a*n^2)/V^2; <--- input
    f:=n*R*T = (V-n*b)*(p+a*n^2)/V^2 <--- echo of input

> implicitdiff(f,V,p); <---command
    (V-n*b)*V/(V*p+V*a*n^2-2*n*b*p-2*n^3*b*a) <---- the implicit derivative

In LaTeX this is
    [tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial p} = \frac{(V - nb)V}{Vp+Va\,n^2-2nbp-2n^3\,b a} [/tex]
    If you multiply both the numerator and denominator of your expression by ##V## you get Maple's numerator. Do you also get Maple's denominator after expanding out yours?

4. Aug 29, 2014 #3
    Ray,

I do! Thanks :) Is Maple a free program I can use to check my answers?

5. Aug 29, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can make the calculation a bit easier if you rearrange the initial expression as
    $$\frac{1}{nRT}(p+an^2)=\frac{V^2}{V-nb}$$ and then differentiate implicitly.

6. Aug 29, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, not free, but some departments/universities have site licences. Alternatively, you can use Mathematica (perhaps through an institutional site licence). However, I do not have access to that, so I don't know what would be the appropriate commands.

Wolfram Alpha is a free, on-line computer algebra/calculus package, but has limitations---it is Mathematica Lite. I don't know the "implicit differentiation" commands for it, but I am sure some on-line help is available.

There are also a number of free computer algebra/calculus packages available for downloading to your own computer. Just do a Google search.

7. Aug 30, 2014 #6
    Thanks for both your help, guys.

P.S. I found a free download for Maple from my university.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted