Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE Conditions For Uniqueness

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    Consider the PDE
    $$
    U_{xy}+\frac{2}{x+y}\left(U_{x}-U_{y}\right)=0
    $$
    with the boundary conditions
    $$
    U(x_{0},y)=k(x_{0}-y)^{3}\\
    U(x,y_{0})=k(x-y_{0})^{3}
    $$
    where $k$ is a constant given by $k=U_{0}(x_{0}-y_{0})^{3}$. $x_{0}$, $y_{0}$ and $U(x_{0},y_{0})=U_{0}$ are known. The solution for the PDE is given by
    $$
    U(x,y)=(x-y)^{5}\frac{\partial ^{4}}{\partial x^{2}\partial y^{2}}\left(\frac{f(x)-g(y)}{x-y}\right)
    $$
    After some simplifications I get
    $$
    U(x,y)=2\left(f''(x)-g''(y)\right)(x-y)^{2}-12\left(f'(x)+g'(y)\right)(x-y)+24\left(f(x)-g(y)\right)
    $$
    where $f(x)$ and $g(y)$ are to be determined. I am looking for conditions that ensure uniqueness for the solution of this PDE. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Abiyo

p.s I tried the following approach but it didn't work.
    $$
    U(x_{0},y_{0})=2\left(f''(x_{0})-g''(y_{0})\right)(x_{0}-y_{0})^{2}-12\left(f'(x_{0})+g'(y_{0})\right)(x_{0}-y_{0})+24\left(f(x_{0})-g(y_{0})\right)
    $$ There are six unknowns $f(x_{0}),f'(x_{0}),f''(x_{0}),g(x_{0}),g'(x_{0})$ and $g''(y_{0})$. Assume $5$ values and the sixth one is determined. From there I proceed to find two ODEs and can find a solution to the PDE. The solution depends on my choice of these constants and hence I am looking for a constraint on this constants.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted