Solve PDE u_t=u_xx-u_x with Separation of Variables

• Thread starter Uku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a separation of variables problem involving the partial differential equation u_t = u_xx - u_x. The solution is found by representing the x-dependence as a Fourier transform and solving the resulting first order ODE. The boundary and initial conditions for the problem are also discussed.
Uku
Hi! Merry christmas!

Homework Statement

[tex]u_{t}=u_{xx}-u_{x}[/tex]

Can I solve it with separation of variables?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]u=XT[/tex]
[tex]XT^{'}=T(X^{''}-X^{'})[/tex]
After rearranging
[tex]\frac{T^{'}}{T}=-\lambda^{2}[/tex] 1)
[tex]\frac{X^{''}}{X} - frac{X^{'}}{X}=-\lambda^{2}[/tex]
The solution to 1) is simple
[tex]T=Acos(\lambda t)+Bsin(\lambda t)[/tex]
Now, for the X, I write out a characteristic equation and get that
[tex]X=Ce^{\frac{1}{2}+\sqrt{\frac{1}{4} - \lambda^{2}}x}+De^{\frac{1}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{1}{4} - \lambda^{2}}x}[/tex]
Since u=XT, the solution would be:
[tex]XT=(Acos(\lambda t)+Bsin(\lambda t))(Ce^{\frac{1}{2}+\sqrt{\frac{1}{4} - \lambda^{2}}x}+De^{\frac{1}{2} - \sqrt{\frac{1}{4} - \lambda^{2}}x})[/tex]

Now, have I done it wrong?
(I know that I have not checked, I will do it now)

Thanks,
Uku

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uku said:
Hi! Merry christmas!

Homework Statement

[tex]u_{t}=u_{xx}-u_{x}[/tex]

Can I solve it with separation of variables?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]u=XT[/tex]
[tex]XT^{'}=T(X^{''}-X^{'})[/tex]
After rearranging
[tex]\frac{T^{'}}{T}=-\lambda^{2}[/tex] 1)
[tex]\frac{X^{''}}{X} - frac{X^{'}}{X}=-\lambda^{2}[/tex]
Do you know that this constant is negative? That usually is determined by boundary conditions and you don't give any here.

[tex]The solution to 1) is simple
[tex]T=Acos(\lambda t)+Bsin(\lambda t)[/tex]
Now, for the X, I write out a characteristic equation and get that
[tex]X=Ce^{\frac{1}{2}+\sqrt{\frac{1}{4}-}\lambda^{2}}+De^{\frac{1}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{1}{4} - \lambda^{2}}}[/tex]
Only if [itex]\lambda^2< 1/4[/itex], otherwise you will have trig functions. Also you have forgotten the variable, x!

Since u=XT, the solution would be:
[tex]XT=(Acos(\lambda t)+Bsin(\lambda t))(Ce^{\frac{1}{2}+\sqrt{\frac{1}{4}-}\lambda^{2}}+De^{\frac{1}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{1}{4} - \lambda^{2}}})[/tex]

Now, have I done it wrong?
(I know that I have not checked, I will do it now)

Thanks,
Uku
What boundary and initial conditions do you have? With partial differential equations, even the form of the solution will depend on them.

Hi Uku! :smile:

(have a lambda: λ :wink:)

You're getting confused between λ and λ2 in both your X and T equations. :wink:

The equation is linear and with constant coefficients. If you present it in the form:

[tex]
u(x, t) = e^{a x + b t} \, v(x, t)
[/tex]

you can choose a and b to cancel the first partial derivative w.r.t. x and the term with no partial derivatives:

[tex]
v_{t} + b v = v_{x x} +2 a v_{x} + a^{2} v - v_{x} - a v
[/tex]

Choosing:

[tex]
\left\{\begin{array}{l}
2 a - 1 = 0 \\

a^2 - a = b
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

after which the equation becomes a pure parabolic equation:

[tex]
v_{t} = v_{x x}
[/tex]

You can solve this PDE by the method of integral transforms. For example, represent the x-dependence as a Fourier transform:

[tex]
v(x, t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\tilde{v}(k, t) \exp(i k x) \, \frac{d k}{2 \pi}}
[/tex]

after which you get the 1st order ODE

[tex]
\tilde{v}_{t} + k^{2} \, \tilde{v} = 0
[/tex]

which has the simple solution:

[tex]
\tilde{v}(t, k) = \tilde{v}(0, k) e^{-k^{2} t}
[/tex]

where the initial condition is given by:

[tex]
\tilde{v}(0, k) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{v(0, \xi) \exp(-i k \xi) d\xi}, \; v(0, x) = e^{-a x} u(0, x)
[/tex]

After you combine everything together and do the integral over k which is gaussian, you will get the general solution as an integral over the initial value.

Hi!

I messed up on the lamdas, yes. On [tex]T[/tex] it should be just [tex]\lambda[/tex].
My initial conditions are:
[tex] -\infty < x < \infty [/tex]
[tex] 0 < t < \infty [/tex]
[tex] u(x,0)=f(x) [/tex]

How do these tell me wether lamda is negative or not? I got a book, but I'm not getting to the point from it.

EDIT: I forgot the x from the exponential in the initial post, I added it.

(what happened to that λ I gave you? :confused:)
Uku said:
How do these tell me wether lamda is negative or not?

λ is a constant of integration.

It can be anything … you find it from your initial (or boundary) conditions …

what are they?​

Tim, thanks for the lamda? :)

I have an initial condition
[tex]u(x,0)=f(x)[/tex]
telling me that at t=0 the temperature (the equation looks as a heat conduction eq for a bar of something) depends on position only.

Then I have boundary conditions for the variables
[tex]- \infty < x < \infty [/tex]
telling me that the bar is infinite in both directions, and
[tex] 0 < t < \infty [/tex]
telling me that the time changes from 0 to inf.

As I understand the lamda comes from assuming that once the variables are separated, each side depends on only X (or Y). For the equality to hold the constant needs to be the same for both sides, hence the X'/X=c Y'/Y=c part.

If I try to link a boundary to c, I can think of, in
X'-Xc=0
that c scales the position X, so in that case c also must subdue to
-infinity < c < infinity?

I don't yet see a clear link with the initial (bound.) conditions.

Uku

Last edited:

What is f(x)?

On its own, u(x,0)=f(x) is only stating the obvious … "u(x,0) does not depend on t".

And (-∞.∞) isn't a boundary condition, it's only a boundary.

dont mind me, keep explaining.:zzz:

1. What is Separation of Variables?

Separation of Variables is a method used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) by assuming that the solution can be written as a product of two functions, each depending on only one variable. This allows the PDE to be broken down into two ordinary differential equations (ODEs) that can be solved separately.

2. How does Separation of Variables work?

The method of Separation of Variables involves substituting the solution u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) into the given PDE and then separating the variables x and t. This results in two ODEs, one involving only X(x) and the other involving only T(t). The solutions to these ODEs can then be combined to obtain the general solution to the PDE.

3. Why is Separation of Variables useful for solving PDEs?

Separation of Variables is useful because it allows us to reduce a PDE, which is a more complicated equation involving multiple variables, to a set of simpler ODEs. Solving ODEs is generally easier than solving PDEs, so this method can be more efficient and straightforward.

4. What are the steps to solve a PDE using Separation of Variables?

The steps to solve a PDE using Separation of Variables are as follows:
1. Substitute the solution u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) into the PDE.
2. Separate the variables x and t by moving all terms involving one variable to one side of the equation and all terms involving the other variable to the other side.
3. Set each side of the equation equal to a constant, known as the separation constant.
4. Solve the resulting two ODEs for X(x) and T(t).
5. Combine the solutions for X(x) and T(t) to obtain the general solution to the PDE.

5. What are some applications of Separation of Variables in science and engineering?

Separation of Variables is an important technique in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is commonly used to solve PDEs that arise in heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It can also be applied to problems in electromagnetism, aerodynamics, and signal processing. In general, any system that can be described by a PDE can potentially be solved using Separation of Variables.