1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE's - Finding a certain solution to Laplace's equation on a circle

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a solution of Laplace's equation [tex] u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 0 [/tex] of the form [tex] u(x,y) = Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 \ (A^2 + B^2 + C^2 \not= 0 ) [/tex] which satisfies the boundary condition [tex] u(cos(\theta),sin(\theta)) = cos(2\theta) + sin(2\theta) [/tex] for all points [tex] (cos(\theta),sin(\theta)) [/tex] on the circle, [tex] x^2 + y^2 = 1 [/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    Listed above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    first, I found [tex] u_{xx} [/tex] and [tex] u_{yy} [/tex]

[tex]u_{xx} = 2A [/tex]
    [tex]u_{yy} = 2C [/tex]

From [tex] u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 0 [/tex] and the above results, I can get [tex] 2A + 2C = 0 [/tex].

Now, I plugged in the boundary condition:
    [tex] cos(2\theta) + sin(2\theta) = Acos^2(\theta) + Bcos(\theta) sin(\theta) + Csin^2(\theta). [/tex]

I tried various trig substitutions here and couldn't seem to get anywhere. However, with this equation and the one above, I have two equations (but there are three unknowns). I am pretty sure I have to use the [tex] x^2 + y^2 = 1[/tex] to write another equation so that I can solve for A, B, and C, but I do not know how to use the circle information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just use the double angle formulas for cos(2*theta) and sin(2*theta). I don't really see what the problem is.

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3
    All right, let me see what I can do. I had tried this, but it wasn't simplifying, maybe there's something i'm not seeing.

okay, so using those double angle identities:

[tex]cos^2(\theta) - sin^2(\theta) + 2sin(\theta)cos(\theta) = Acos^2(\theta) + Bcos(\theta)sin(\theta) + Csin^2(\theta) [/tex]

Oh, and I can solve that for
    [tex] A = 1,B = 2,C = -1 [/tex]

So my solution is :

[tex] u(x,y) = x^2 + 2xy - y^2 [/tex]

This is the answer in the back of the book.

I was just wondering why they put the [tex] x^2 + y^2 = 1 [/tex] in there? Is that something I didn't need to figure out the answer?

Thanks so much for that little nudge too. I really appreciate that.

5. Sep 2, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't need it. If (x,y)=(cos(theta),sin(theta)) on the boundary, then of course x^2+y^2=1.

6. Sep 2, 2008 #5
    Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?