Peak amplitudes of E and H fields (Poynting Vector)

In summary, the peak amplitude of the E field is 1026.75 V/m and the H field is 2.72155 A/m, when sunlight has a maximum intensity of 1400 W/m2 on the earth's moon. This is calculated using the equations I = 1/2 c ε0E2 and B = μH, with a monochromatic power emitter assumption.
equation3

Homework Statement

What are the associated peak amplitudes of the E and H fields if sunlight has a maximum intensity of 1400 W/m2 on the earth’s moon?

Homework Equations

I = <s> = 1/2 c ε0E2

The Attempt at a Solution

I = <s> = 1/2 c ε0E02

1400 = (1/2)(3*108)(8.85*10-12)(E02)

1400 / (1.328*10-3) = E02 = 1.05422 * 106

E0 = √ (1.05422 * 106) = 1026.75 V/m

So the peak amplitude of the E field = E0 = 1026.75 V/m. I'm not sure how to find the H field though.

B = E0 / c = 3.42 * 106 T

I'm not really sure how to get from B to H though.

Physics news on Phys.org
equation3 said:
I'm not really sure how to get from B to H though.
It is a very basic formula: B=μH

Likes equation3
Ahhh! Thank you @ehild :)

H = B0/μ = 3.42 * 106 / 1.26 * 10-6 = 2.72155 A/m

Got the same results. But the problem assumes a monochromatic power emitter so the computation is for that equivalent scenario.

1. What are peak amplitudes of E and H fields?

The peak amplitudes of E and H fields refer to the maximum values of the electric and magnetic fields, respectively, in an electromagnetic wave. These values represent the strength of the wave at a particular point in space and time.

2. How are peak amplitudes of E and H fields measured?

Peak amplitudes of E and H fields are typically measured using specialized instruments such as oscilloscopes or field meters. These devices detect the electric and magnetic fields and display their peak values in units of volts per meter (V/m) for E field and amperes per meter (A/m) for H field.

3. What factors affect the peak amplitudes of E and H fields?

The peak amplitudes of E and H fields are affected by the frequency and wavelength of the electromagnetic wave, as well as the distance from the source. The type of medium the wave is traveling through and any obstructions or reflections in the path can also impact the peak amplitudes.

4. Why are peak amplitudes of E and H fields important?

The peak amplitudes of E and H fields play a crucial role in determining the behavior and effects of electromagnetic waves. They are used to calculate the intensity and power of the wave, as well as its potential to cause interference with other electronic devices or biological tissues.

5. How do peak amplitudes of E and H fields relate to the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical quantity that describes the flow of electromagnetic energy in a particular direction. The magnitude of the Poynting vector is equal to the product of the peak amplitudes of the E and H fields, making it a useful tool for understanding the strength and direction of electromagnetic radiation.