Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peltier cooler- thermodynamics

1. May 14, 2015 #1
    Im working on a project for fun using a peltier cooler. A tec1-12706.
    If i am operating the peltier at 9v, 6.4 amps of current and dt =45ºC (from datasheet) and bring its cold side in contact with a body at 33ºC for 10 seconds.
    Keeping hot side at 27ºC(cold side =-18) using sink, what will be the fall in temperature of the object in contact with cold side in this 10 seconds?
    Pretty sure i asked the question wrong myself because im a bit confused too so any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This will be difficult because it is a transient situation, but for a start, you will need:
    -Material and mass of the object (and perhaps other info).
    -Peltier thermal power transfer rate in watts (should be on data sheet).

4. May 15, 2015 #3
    Hey thanks for the reply,

Actually im trying to create my own wristify so the material to cool the the wrist (it says that 0.4ºC drop is temperature can somewhat fool the body into thinking that its in a cold environment).

Ive read that skin temperature is about 33ºC. Assumming that each time the peltier starts, the wrist is back at 33ºC.
    How much drop will peltier produce in 10 seconds of running.

Peltier thermal power transfer rate =50-57 watts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook