1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum and constraining forces (Lagrangian mechanics)

1. May 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! As always, I struggle with my special relativity class and here is a new problem I'd like to have some indications about:

A masspoint m moves in the x-y-plane under the influence of gravity on a circular path of radius r (see attached pic). Which constraining force ##\vec{z}## must be additionally be acting in the radial direction, so that the masspoint remains on the circular path? You must first establish the equation of motion for the masspoint m and integrate it for the case small angle ##\varphi##.

2. Relevant equations

Lagrangian mechanics, holonomic constraints

3. The attempt at a solution

So first I wrote the coordinates dependently of each other and in function of ##l##:

##x^2 + y^2 = l^2 \iff x^2 + y^2 - l^2 = 0##

If I understand my script correctly, such an equation ##f(x,y,l,t) = 0## means this is a case of holonomic constraint. Right? I am not sure if ##l## should be included in my function. Anyway I can rewrite ##x## and ##y## as

##x = l \cdot \cos \varphi## and ##y = l \ cdot \sin \varphi##
    ##\implies \dot{x} = - \varphi l \sin \varphi## and ##\dot{y} = \varphi l \cos \varphi##

I can now substitute those values in the Lagrange function to have an equation of motion only depending on ##l## and ##\varphi##:

##L = T - V = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2) - mgh##
    ## = \frac{1}{2} m\varphi^2 l^2 (\cos^2\varphi + \sin^2\varphi) - mgh##
    ## = \frac{1}{2} m \varphi^2 l^2 - mgh##

That went pretty well until now, but now I'm blocked because of the ##h##. How can I express it in terms of ##l## and ##\varphi##? Geometrically I see the relation but I don't know what ##h## is. Anything I am missing?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Julien.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wouldn't ##\left (1 - \cos\phi\right)## qualify for the job ?

4. May 12, 2016 #3
    @BvU You mean for ##h##? Did you see the picture? I searched a bit on the internet, and everyone seems to use a different coordinate system. For example in page 5 of this link (http://www.math.pitt.edu/~bard/classes/1270/mechanics.pdf) is ##h=-l\cos \varphi## apparently.

5. May 12, 2016 #4
    (Note that my teacher has inversed the ##x## and ##y## axes, probably to make it just confusing enough so that we don't get it.. I'm unsure why is ##y = -l \cos \varphi## in the link I put in post #3 and not ##l \cos \varphi## as for my ##x##. Is that just because my ##x## axis points downwards?)

6. May 12, 2016 #5
    I think I got it, I must have misunderstood something about the potential. Apparently I can just define a zero potential energy point which conveniently would be ##\varphi = 0##, then my potential would be as said @BvU ##V = -mg\Delta h = -mg l (1 - cos \varphi)##. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot for your answers ;)

7. May 12, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, potential can be defined wrt an arbitrary point.
    And x/y are now out of the picture with this generalized coordinate, so which way they point isn't all that relevant anymore. But I agree the choice is somewhat unusual.

8. May 13, 2016 #7
    @BvU Okay thanks a lot :) Then I get an equation of motion ##m \ddot{\varphi} = \frac{-m g \cdot \varphi}{l}##. If I am not mistaken, one can find the constraint force from the equation of motion with ##\sum \vec{F} = \vec{F_G} + \vec{Z}##, right?

Does that mean ##\vec{Z} = \frac{-m g \cdot \varphi}{l} - mg##?

Thanks a lot.

Julien.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted