1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum consists of a rod of mass m attached to a light rod

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pendulum consists of a uniform rod of mass m and length l hanging from the bottom end of a light rod of length l which top end is fixed to the ceiling. (see file attached)
    System moves in a vertical plane. Find equations of motion.

Coordinates of the center of mass (X,Y)
    angles θ and ψ of the light rod and the rod of mass m with the vertical respectively.

2. Relevant equations

Lagrangian method

L=T-U
    U=mgY
    T=mV2/2 + IΩ2/2

V is the velocity of the center of mass respect to a system at rest which origin is the top end of the light rod.

3. The attempt at a solution

X=l/2sinψ + lsinθ
    Y=-l/2cosψ -lcosθ

|V|2= l2/4[itex]\dot{ψ}[/itex] + l2[itex]\dot{θ}[/itex]2 + l2[itex]\dot{ψ}[/itex][itex]\dot{θ}[/itex]cos(ψ-θ)

I relative to the top end of the rod of mass m I=ml2/3
    ω=[itex]\dot{ψ}[/itex]

then i will plug this into L= T-U and the fin the Euler- Lagrange equations.
    but i am not sure about I and ω.

I am confused. My first attempt was to choose same X,Y,V but I relative to the center of the rod of mass m I= ml2/2 and ω=[itex]\dot{ψ}[/itex]+[itex]\dot{θ}[/itex]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted