1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum in polar coordinate system problem

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pendulum consists of a particle of the mass m and a thread of the length l (we don't consider the threads mass). The acceleration caused by gravity is g. Solve the particles displacement and the force caused by the tension in the thread T in a polar coordinate system. The pendulums oscillations are of small amplitude. What is the period of the particle?

2. Relevant equations
    NII: [tex]\sum[/tex]F=ma
    sin[tex]\theta[/tex]=[tex]\theta[/tex]
    T=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{}[/tex](l/g)

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Mikael, and I have recently started studying at Helsinki University of Technology. One thing that causes me a fair bit of difficulties is that Swedish is my native language, and all the lessons are in Finnish. I read the most advanced physics and maths courses the University offer, and it's been quite tough. Now here's my attempt at a solution:

I started by drawing a picture with all the forces and the components where needed, in this case I chose to keep T and divided mg into mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] in the direction of x and mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex] in the direction of y. I applied NII so that

-mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex]=max.
    m disappears and I wrote a as seen below, which leads to

d2x/dt2=-gsin[tex]\theta[/tex].
    After integrating twice I had

x3/6=-1/2*gsin[tex]\theta[/tex]t2, but since

sin[tex]\theta[/tex]=[tex]\theta[/tex]

x=[tex]\sqrt[]{}3[/tex]-3g[tex]\theta[/tex]t2

At this point, I had a look at the tips and tricks one of our teachers gave us, and it looked nothing like this. He had used the vectors r and e[tex]\varphi[/tex], and lots of dots above them, that I don't even know what they mean. I started to think that maybe the polar coordinate system means I must write the answers with these vectors, but I have no idea how to do that, because the tips made no sense to me at all. Therefore, what I first of all want to know, is wath is the correct way to give the answer. Can I do as I have done, or is it completely wrong. If I'm wrong I appreciate all help because I'm not even sure what a polar coordinate system is. So some help to get me started would be great in that case. Thank you for your time!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi mkerikss! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a phi: φ and a pi: π and a square-root: √ and a sigma: ∑ :wink:)
    (dots are the same as dashes … they mean d/dt :wink:)

The question asks you to use a polar coordinate system …

so position is (r,θ), and velocity is measured along the local directions er and eθ

er is the unit vector along the r direction, and eθ is the unit vector perpendicular to er, in the direction of increasing θ.

Also, (er)' = θ'eθ, and (eθ)' = -θ'er

Then, for example, r = rer, and so r' = rθ'eθ, and r'' = … ? :smile:

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3
    Polar coordinates:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system" [Broken]

instead of x and y you use r: distance from origin and [tex]\phi[/tex] angle from a fixed direction.

you use this with problems that deal with rotation. problems will often be easier when converted to polar coordinates

In the case of a pendulum, r always the length of the pendulum, so you only have to deal with a differential equation for phi. phi =0 corresponds to straight down.
    you have to split the force of gravity on the particle in a component in the direction of the origin (the r direction) and a component in the direction tangential to the arc that the particle makes. Only this component works in the phi direction. you get

[tex] F_{tangential} = m r \frac {d^2\phi} {dt^2} [/tex]

instead of F=ma

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 30, 2009 #4
    Thanks for all the help, I'll give it another try. At least now I understand what it's all about :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook