Perfectly normal space problem

In summary, we discussed the properties of perfectly normal and completely normal spaces and explored alternative proofs for the relationship between the two. We found that every metrizable space is perfectly normal and that a perfectly normal space is completely normal. We also discussed a potential proof for this relationship, but found that it had some flaws. Finally, we mentioned a hint from a book and acknowledged that it may be a better approach to proving the relationship between perfect and complete normality.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

(1) Every metrizable space is perfectly normal.

(2) A perfectly normal space is completely normal

The Attempt at a Solution

A space X is perfectly normal if it's normal and if every closed set in X is a Gδ set.

(1)

I found an alternative proof, but I find this one shorter and more elegant, so I'd like to check it.

Let (X, d) me a metric space. Let d' be the standard bounder metric defined with d'(x, y) = min{d(x, y), 1}. We know that d' induces the same topology as d. Now, let A be a closed subset of X. Define d'(x, A) the usual way. This function is a continuous function from X to [0, 1] which vanishes precisely on A. Hence A is a (closed) Gδ set in X.

(2)

There is a hint in the book, but I ignored it, and tried to prove it this way (I know there's probably something wrong with this, so I'd like to verify if it's what I think it is):

Let X be perfectly normal. We wish to prove it is completely normal, so let Y be a subset of X, and let A be a closed subset of Y. Then it equals an intersection of a closed subset of X with Y, i.e. A = A'[tex]\cap[/tex]Y. Let U be a neighborhood of A in Y. Now, here's what I'm not sure about: Since U is open in Y, it must equal the intersection of some open set U' in X with Y (by general properties of unions and intersections, I think this should work). But the problem is that U' doesn't need to be a neighborhood of A' in X, right? Since then we could simply use normality to find an open neighborhood of U' containing A whose closure is contained in U' in X, and hence in Y, too. We wouldn't even need to use the fact that X is perfectly normal. Am I right here?

Physics news on Phys.org
radou said:
Let (X, d) me a metric space. Let d' be the standard bounder metric defined with d'(x, y) = min{d(x, y), 1}. We know that d' induces the same topology as d. Now, let A be a closed subset of X. Define d'(x, A) the usual way. This function is a continuous function from X to [0, 1] which vanishes precisely on A. Hence A is a (closed) Gδ set in X.

This seems to be correct.

As for the second proof, I found it hard to follow. You probably want to show that the subset Y is normal. Can you tell me in what way you are trying to show that Y is normal? Is it correct that you take a closed set A and a neighbourhood U, and you try to find a neighbourhood V of A such that the closure of V is contained in U. Is that what you're trying to do?

Let X be perfectly normal. We wish to prove it is completely normal, so let Y be a subset of X, and let A be a closed subset of Y. Then it equals an intersection of a closed subset of X with Y, i.e. A = A'[tex]\cap[/tex]Y. Let U be a neighborhood of A in Y. Now, here's what I'm not sure about: Since U is open in Y, it must equal the intersection of some open set U' in X with Y (by general properties of unions and intersections, I think this should work).

Yes, I think that this works.

But the problem is that U' doesn't need to be a neighborhood of A' in X, right?

This is indeed a problem.

Since then we could simply use normality to find an open neighborhood of U' containing A whose closure is contained in U' in X, and hence in Y, too. We wouldn't even need to use the fact that X is perfectly normal. Am I right here?

Yes, in this case we don't need that X is perfectly normal. But your assumption (U' is a neighbourhood of A') is quite a large assumption...

Thanks, you've verified exactly what I thought was wrong. I'm doing it using the hint in the book right now, shouldn't be much of a problem.

1. What is a "Perfectly normal space problem"?

A "Perfectly normal space problem" is a theoretical concept in physics that refers to a situation in which all known laws and principles of physics apply and operate as expected. This means that there are no anomalies or unexplainable phenomena present in this space.

2. How is a "Perfectly normal space problem" different from other space problems?

A "Perfectly normal space problem" differs from other space problems in that it is a purely theoretical concept that represents a perfectly functioning and predictable space. Other space problems may involve anomalies, unexpected phenomena, or unexplained occurrences.

3. Can a "Perfectly normal space problem" exist in reality?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that a "Perfectly normal space problem" exists in reality. However, it is a useful concept for theoretical and experimental purposes in the field of physics.

4. How is the concept of a "Perfectly normal space problem" used in scientific research?

The concept of a "Perfectly normal space problem" is used in scientific research to better understand and test the laws and principles of physics. By creating a theoretical space that operates perfectly normally, scientists can more easily identify and study any deviations or anomalies that may occur in real-life space.

5. Is the idea of a "Perfectly normal space problem" widely accepted in the scientific community?

The concept of a "Perfectly normal space problem" is widely accepted in the scientific community as a useful theoretical tool. However, as it cannot be proven or observed in reality, it is not universally accepted as a real phenomenon.