1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of Oscillation for vertical spring

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mass m=.25 kg is suspended from an ideal Hooke's law spring which has a spring constant k=10 N/m. If the mass moves up and down in the earth's gravitational field near earth's surface find period of oscillation.

2. Relevant equations

T=1/f period equals one over frequency
    T= 2pi/w two pi/angular velocity
    f=w/2pi
    w= (k/m)^1/2
    T=2pi/sqrt(k/m)

3. The attempt at a solution

Using these equations I found periods for springs that were horizontally gliding, my question is can I use these same formulas for a vertical spring? Does gravity have to be taken into account?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. Since it partly offsets the tension in the spring, it could affect the period. But I'm not asserting that it does. Think about where the mid point of the oscillation will be in terms of spring extension.

4. Nov 12, 2013 #3
    Okay, for this problem lets not take gravity into account. Are my equations correct? Can I use the same approach that I used for a horizontal spring?

5. Nov 12, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand. I thought I just advised you to take gravity into account. Just write down the equation for ƩF=ma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted