Period of Rotating Pendulum: 2.2m, 9.0cm, 4.5kg

  • Thread starter Thread starter juggalomike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
juggalomike
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A uniform stick of length L = 2.2 m, width W = 9.0 cm, and mass M = 4.5 kg oscillates as a physical pendulum and pivots about point O as shown in the Figure. What is the period of the pendulum if x, the distance from the pivot point to the center of gravity of the pendulum, is equal to 0.68 m?

Homework Equations



T=2*pi*sqrt(L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution



I am stuck, i know 2*pi*sqrt((1.1+.68)/9.81) is not going to be right because the section of the stick above the pivot needs to be taken into account, I am just not sure how.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a physical pendulum. The formula for T you cited is not valid for it.

Determine I, the moment of inertia with respet to the pivot point. Find the distance d between the centre of mas and the pivot.

T = 2 pi sqrt[I/(mgd)]

ehild
 
ehild said:
It is a physical pendulum. The formula for T you cited is not valid for it.

Determine I, the moment of inertia with respet to the pivot point. Find the distance d between the centre of mas and the pivot.

T = 2 pi sqrt[I/(mgd)]

ehild

ah ok, how does width factor into the inertia? i was going to do
(4.5*(1.1+.68)^2/(2.2*3))+(4.5*(2.2-1.10.68)^2/(2.2*3)) but 1/3mL^2 is for a stick that is infinitly thin, not sure how to compensate for width.
 
It is not infinitely thin. Find a formula somewhere which fits to the picture of this pendulum. (You did not show it)

ehild