Permanent magnets: do electrons attract each other?

In summary, the electron spin asymmetry creates a dipole atom, which distorts the electron cloud and creates the magnetic force between positive and negative charges.
steviereal
When reading about the quantum explanation of permanent magnets, I only read about electron spins. Sure, but are they behind that aggressive attractive force existing between opposite poles? Common sense tells me the only things that should attract each other in a metal are electrons and protons. Surely it's not electrons only, they should not attract each other, no matter what their spins are, right? So does this spin asymmetry ultimately create a dipole atom? Does it distort the electron cloud, so that one pole will be the side with the larger bulging part of the cloud, the other will be the nucleus (being the smaller part of the electron cloud on the other side)?
Something like this should be happening, right? Otherwise, we are left with dissatisfying answers such as: "well, magnetism is magnetism" or "we just don't know".

Physics news on Phys.org
Positive and negative charges are attracted to each other via the electrostatic force. Whilst this is related to the magnetic force (hence the name 'electromagnetism'), they are not entirely the same thing. Magnetism is the manifestation of the electrostatic force that occurs when a charged object is moving i.e. when there is a current. If you have knowledge of special relativity, look here for an explanation. A spinning electron constitutes a very small loop of current, so there is a magnetic field in addition to the electric field produced by the charge. I'm not sure if that answers all of your questions, as some of them are not completely clear to me.

Likes bhobba
sk1105 said:
Positive and negative charges are attracted to each other via the electrostatic force. Whilst this is related to the magnetic force (hence the name 'electromagnetism'), they are not entirely the same thing. Magnetism is the manifestation of the electrostatic force that occurs when a charged object is moving i.e. when there is a current. If you have knowledge of special relativity, look here for an explanation. A spinning electron constitutes a very small loop of current, so there is a magnetic field in addition to the electric field produced by the charge. I'm not sure if that answers all of your questions, as some of them are not completely clear to me.
Thanks!
Now I understand it by accepting the rules of relativity...the only thing I have to understand now is why objects contract when they move...

1. How do permanent magnets work?

Permanent magnets work by having domains of aligned electrons that create a magnetic field. When placed near another magnet or magnetic material, these fields interact and cause attraction or repulsion.

2. Can electrons attract each other in a permanent magnet?

Yes, electrons in a permanent magnet can attract each other. This is due to the alignment of their magnetic fields, which causes an overall attractive force.

3. Are all electrons in a permanent magnet attracted to each other?

No, not all electrons in a permanent magnet are attracted to each other. The alignment of the domains and the strength of the magnetic field can vary, causing some electrons to be repelled instead of attracted.

4. Do electrons in a permanent magnet always attract electrons in other materials?

No, electrons in a permanent magnet do not always attract electrons in other materials. It depends on the alignment and strength of the magnetic fields, as well as the magnetic properties of the other material.

5. Can permanent magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, permanent magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can be due to exposure to high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, or physical damage that disrupts the alignment of the domains. Additionally, some materials, such as iron, can be magnetized and demagnetized multiple times.