Permeability of copper in the microwave frequency range

In summary, the relative DC permeability of copper is 1 and is considered dispersive, meaning it changes with frequency. Data on the permeability of copper in the GHz frequency range can be found in an interesting read on classical models. However, there may be limitations in using the Drude model for diamagnetics. Based on general physics, it is not expected that there will be significant changes in the permeability of copper in the GHz range.
AlexVI
Relative DC permeability of copper is 1. Conductors are considered dispersive and therefore the permeability should change with frequency. Where can I find data or how can I calculate permeability of copper in Ghz frequency range?

Science news on Phys.org
This looks to be an interesting read that covers some simple classical models.

http://emlab.utep.edu/ee5390em21/Lecture%202%20--%20Lorentz%20and%20Drude%20models.pdf

When I was doing google search before the post I saw this one too. It was a long time ago when I studied electrodynamics but if I remember correctly there is a problem with using Drude model for diamagnetics because of Kramers - Kroning relations.

Well, okay. My take on this is in the GHz range not much is going on in the permeability of copper just based on the general physics outlined in the linked pdf. I don't expect the field to extend into the copper much more than a skin depth. Do you expect answers from a more detailed model will be significant and if so, how so?

What is the significance of studying the permeability of copper in the microwave frequency range?

The study of the permeability of copper in the microwave frequency range is important because it is a key factor in the design and performance of microwave devices. Copper is commonly used as a conductor in these devices, and its permeability can affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves and the efficiency of the device.

How does the permeability of copper change in the microwave frequency range?

The permeability of copper changes in the microwave frequency range due to its magnetic properties. At lower frequencies, copper has a high permeability, meaning it can easily conduct magnetic fields. However, as the frequency increases, the permeability decreases, leading to changes in the behavior of electromagnetic waves in copper.

What factors can affect the permeability of copper in the microwave frequency range?

Several factors can affect the permeability of copper in the microwave frequency range, including temperature, magnetic field strength, and the presence of impurities or defects in the copper material. These factors can alter the magnetic properties of copper and therefore impact its permeability.

How is the permeability of copper measured in the microwave frequency range?

The permeability of copper in the microwave frequency range is typically measured using a vector network analyzer (VNA). This instrument can measure the complex permeability of a material by analyzing the reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves through a sample of copper at different frequencies.

What are the practical applications of understanding the permeability of copper in the microwave frequency range?

Understanding the permeability of copper in the microwave frequency range has many practical applications, such as in the design of microwave antennas, filters, and other devices. It can also be used in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and medical imaging, where the efficient transmission and manipulation of electromagnetic waves is crucial.