Permutation and Combination Problem

In summary, when solving a problem like this, you take into account the number of ways that things can be rearranged and then find the answer that results in the most permutations.
Mathkid182

Homework Statement

How many way can a team lose 3 of their next 5 games?
How many ways can a team lose 2 of their next 5 games?
Why are the two answers the same?

Homework Equations

Permutation = nPr = n! / (n-r)!
Combination = nCr = nPr / r!
where,
n, r are non negative integers and r<=n.
r is the size of each permutation.
n is the size of the set from which elements are permuted.
! is the factorial operator.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is a problem where the permutation equation would be used. After all, the team can LLLWW or WWLLL and those would be two different permutations that would satisfy the question's requirements. But I just don't understand how I would go about solving it. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was studying for the SAT's and dealt with these equations the trick was to remember "n choose r", meaning that in the equations n is the number you are choosing from and r is the amount you are choosing.

In the first example you are choosing 3 out of 5 so n=5 r=3

Get it?

But then if we did the permutation formula for both questions then one wouldn't receive the same answer for both.

If you write "L" for lose and "W" for win you can see that the problem, is the same as 'In how many ways can you write 2 "W"s and 3 "L"s?'

If you imagine that all of the "L" are labeled, say "1", "2", "3", and all of the "W" are labeled "1", "2", then you have 5 distinguishable objects. There are 5! ways of arranging them. But because the two "W"s are not distinguishable, such an arrangement as [itex]W_1L_1L_2L_3W_2[/itex] is exactly the same as [itex]W_2L_1L_2L_3W_1[/itex]. That is, because there are 2!= 2 ways to permute just the "W"s, we have to divide by 2! to get the number or arrangements ignoring rearrangements of just the "W"s. Similarly, there are 3!=6 ways to rearrange just the different "L"s. We must also divide by 3! since those are not "different" arrangements.

Now do the same with 2 "L"s and 3 "W"s.

If you were looking for all three-length permutations of {1,2,3,4,5}, you would get 123, 132, 213, 231, 312, 321 as six different possibilities.
Are all six of these different ways of winning three games?

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation is the arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order, while combination is the selection of objects from a set without considering the order.

2. How do I calculate the number of possible permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects to be arranged.

3. What is the formula for calculating combinations?

The formula for combinations is n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects to be selected.

4. Can permutations and combinations be applied in real life situations?

Yes, permutations and combinations have numerous applications in real life such as in probability, genetics, and sports scheduling.

5. How do I know when to use permutation or combination?

If the order of objects is important, use permutation. If the order is not important, use combination. Additionally, if repetition is allowed, use permutation with repetition and if repetition is not allowed, use permutation without repetition.