Permutation/combination problems

• Thread starter starsuck
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving outcomes of rolls and tosses. For the first problem, it is asked how many possible outcome sequences contain exactly two occurrences of "6" out of eight rolls of a die. The solution involves using the concept of permutations and combinations to arrange the "6"s in different positions. For the second problem, it is asked how many ways can 13 heads and 7 tails be arranged into exactly three consecutive blocks of heads. The solution also involves using permutations and combinations, with the hint given to think of distributing apples and oranges to children.
starsuck
1. Alice rolls an ordinary six-sided die 8 times in succession, and the numbers are recorded (in order). How many possible outcome sequences contain exactly two occurrences of "6" Briefly explain your answer.

2.Bob tosses a coin 20 times and gets 13 heads and 7 tails. In how many ways can these tosses result in exactly three (non-empty) blocks of consecutive heads? For example, HHHTTHHHHHHHHHTTTHTT has three blocks of consecutive heads. Show all steps of your solution. (Hint: Think of distributing apples and oranges to children such that each child gets at least one apple.)

any help is appreciated. thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the problem itself gives a hint! Show us what you have tried on this so we will know where you need help. Do you know anything about "permutations and combination"? What formulas do you have to use?

there is no specific formula that I need to use..
For question 2, I think I am able to use this formula though (n+r-1)/r
I have no idea how to apply this formula into that question.
please help me out here!

As an example, if there are 7 bananas, 6oranges, distributed to 4 children, such that each child gets at least 1 banana. in how many ways?

ans: (4+3-1)/3 * (4+6-1)/6

1. How many possible outcome sequences are there if out of eight throws, only one six is thrown?

Now, each of these sequences has one six "fixed" in position. How many ways are there to arrange another six in the remaining slots.

Now you have answered the above questions, can you answer the problem?

Do you know anything about permutations/combinations? Do you know a formula to work out such questions?

if one six is thrown 8 times, there will be 6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6, but I do not know how to get 2 consecutive of 6's.

starsuck said:
there is no specific formula that I need to use..
For question 2, I think I am able to use this formula though (n+r-1)/r
I have no idea how to apply this formula into that question.
please help me out here!
You titled this "Permutations and Combinations". Surely you learned several formulas for that! You certainly do not use "(n+r-1)/r". I you missing one or more "!" symbols?

What are permutation and combination problems?

Permutation and combination problems involve determining the number of ways to arrange or select objects from a given set. Permutations refer to arrangements where order matters, while combinations refer to selections where order does not matter.

How do I know when to use permutations or combinations?

You should use permutations when the order of the objects matters, such as in arranging a sequence of numbers. Combinations should be used when the order does not matter, such as choosing a group of people for a committee.

What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n!/(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects being arranged.

What is the formula for calculating combinations?

The formula for calculating combinations is n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects being selected.

How can I apply permutations and combinations in real-life situations?

Permutations and combinations can be applied in various real-life situations, such as determining the number of possible outcomes in a game of chance, calculating the number of ways to arrange seating at a wedding, or selecting a winning lottery ticket number. They can also be used in fields like genetics, statistics, and computer science.