Permutation Counting Algorithm for Large Integers

In summary, the algorithm you are looking for is not O(n^2) but might be faster if you can massage the duplicates.
DrDu
Science Advisor
Remark: This is not homework

Given a vector a of permuted numbers from 1 to n, I want to construct the vector b which contains in the ith position the number of elemets of a_j with j <i which are larger than a_i. E.g.
a=(5,2,3,1,4), b=(0,1,1,3,1). Is there an algorithm which scales faster than O(n^2) ? I think yes, maybe a variant of mergesort or the like.

Thank you
DrDu

Technology news on Phys.org
There is no element with j<i if i=1.

Just blue-skying here without a lot of thought.

Make the first array 2-dimensional with the 2nd dimension containing the element index-1
Sort the full 2-dimensional array based on the original data
The 2nd-dimensional data, carrying the original index, will be in the position of <No.-of-smaller-values>

Cheers,
Tom

EDIT: This will give you the ≤ function rather than <. Hope that's adequate. If not, a second pass over the sorted data to massage the duplicates is needed.

Dear Tom,

if I understand correctly you are constructing the inverse permutation. It cannot coincide with the vector b I am looking for, as the vector b usually contains repeated entries, as in the example.

Can you use a tree? Each node has a number and at most two children, one with a lower number and one with a higher number. Each node keeps track of how many higher children it has.

You start with a root node containing 5. Then you add 2 as the "lower child" of 5, then 3 as the "higher child" of 2 (because it's lower than 5, but 5 already has a lower child but 2 doesn't have a higher child), then 1 as the "lower child" of 2 (5 already has a lower child but 2 doesn't), then 4 as the "higher child" of 3 (5 has a lower child, 2 has a higher child, but 3 doesn't).

If you keep track of how many child nodes have been added on the higher subtree of each one, I think you can work out how many higher numbers you've already seen without having to check every one, which ought to be better than ##O(n^2)##.

Last edited:
Python:
class TreeNode:
    def __init__(self,v):
        self.v=v # A number from the original list
        self.nGreater=0 # The number of higher numbers we've seen.
        self.lowerChild=None
        self.greaterChild=None
    def addNode(self,newV):
        if newV<self.v:
            if self.lowerChild is None:
                # New number is lower than this node and we have not seen any such numbers before. Return 1 (this node) plus how many greater-than-this-node children
                self.lowerChild=TreeNode(newV)
                return 1+self.nGreater
            else:
                # New number is lower than this node. Return 1 (this node) plus how many greater-than-this-node children plus anything between the new node and this node
                return 1+self.nGreater+self.lowerChild.addNode(newV)
        else:
            self.nGreater+=1
            if self.greaterChild is None:
                # Greater than this node and we haven't seen such a number before - return that there are no larger numbers below this node
                self.greaterChild=TreeNode(newV)
                return 0
            else:
                # Greater than this node - return how many greater-than-the-new-node values are found in the subtree
                return self.greaterChild.addNode(newV)
    def printTree(self):
        chstr=""
        if self.lowerChild is None:
            chstr+="-"
        else:
            chstr+=str(self.lowerChild.v)
        if self.greaterChild is None:
            chstr+=" -"
        else:
            chstr+=" "+str(self.greaterChild.v)
        print "Node:",self.v," Children:",chstr
        if self.lowerChild is not None:
            self.lowerChild.printTree()
        if self.greaterChild is not None:
            self.greaterChild.printTree()

a=[5,2,3,1,4]
rootNode=TreeNode(a[0])
b=[0]
for a_i in a[1:]:
    b.append(rootNode.addNode(a_i))
print b
rootNode.printTree()
This has not been extensively tested, and was put together in half an hour on a tiny phone. No guarantees it's right!

Last edited:
Thank you Ibix!
In the meanwhile, I figured out how to do this using mergesort:

1. Initialize the vector b to n times 0.
When joining two lists, which are already sorted in inverse order, you create a new list, taking always the larger left element of the two sub-lists. Just keep a counter of the number of elements already in the new list which have been selected from the left list. When an element from the right list is joined to the new list, increase b by the value of that counter.

Edit: replaced right with left.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Tom.G
Btw, a note on this: mergesort is O(n log n).

I do believe this is O(n) if one can use unbound (ie infinitely-long) integers (by using 2 bitmasks). Of course this is theoretical, as there's no machine that can implement unbound integers.

Then one could consider variable-length integers; then the algorithm itself is still O(n), but each bitmask operation in current hardware for variable-length integers is O(n) by itself, so that makes the algorithm actually O(n^2), but one could argue that's a hardware limitation. If one had a (theoretical) hardware that bitmask operations in variable length integers were O(1), then the algorithm would be O(n).

Last edited:

1. What is a permutation counting algorithm for large integers?

A permutation counting algorithm for large integers is a method used to determine the total number of possible arrangements or orders of a set of numbers or objects. It is specifically designed to handle large integers, which are numbers that are too large to be stored in a standard data type or memory space.

2. How does a permutation counting algorithm for large integers work?

A permutation counting algorithm for large integers typically involves breaking down the problem into smaller sub-problems and using mathematical formulas or recursive functions to calculate the total number of permutations. It may also use data structures like arrays or matrices to store and manipulate the numbers.

3. What are some real-world applications of a permutation counting algorithm for large integers?

A permutation counting algorithm for large integers is commonly used in fields like computer science, statistics, and cryptography. It can be used to analyze and optimize algorithms, generate unique identifiers or codes, and assess the probability of certain events occurring.

4. Are there any limitations to a permutation counting algorithm for large integers?

Yes, there are limitations to a permutation counting algorithm for large integers. As the size of the numbers increases, the time and space complexity of the algorithm also increase, making it less efficient. Additionally, the algorithm may not be able to handle extremely large integers due to limitations in memory and computational power.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of a permutation counting algorithm for large integers?

There are a few ways to improve the efficiency of a permutation counting algorithm for large integers. One approach is to optimize the code by using more efficient data structures or algorithms. Another approach is to break down the problem into smaller sub-problems and use techniques like dynamic programming to reduce the overall computation time. Additionally, using parallel processing or distributing the workload across multiple machines can also improve efficiency.