1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutations (last question of sheet, yay )

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    Permutations (last question of sheet, yay!!)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

(1 2 ... n-1 n)
    (n n-1 ... 2 1)
    [tex]\in[/tex]S[tex]_{n}[/tex] for any n[tex]\in[/tex]N
    n.b That should be 2 lines all in one large bracket btw
    a.) Determine its sign.

b.) Let n [tex]\geq[/tex]1. Let <a1,...,as> [tex]\in[/tex]Sn be a cycle and let [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\in[/tex]Sn be arbitrary. Show that

[tex]\sigma\circ[/tex] <a1,...,as> [tex]\circ[/tex][tex]\sigma^{-1}[/tex] = <[tex]\sigma[/tex](a1),...,[tex]\sigma[/tex](as)> in Sn.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I get the sign of the permutation to be (-1)^n/2

I don;t know how to do the second part, any ideas?
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    Actually, i thought i had done the first part, but i havent because im stuck on how to show that for negative numbers, i want the n/2 to be taken as the rounded down value. For example if n=7 i want n/2 to be taken as 3. Is there is a simple way to do this for odd numbers but also keep the same form for positive values of n.

Also it should be (-1)^(n-2/2)

So it should be (-1)^(n-2/2) for even numbers of n and (-1)^(n-3/2) for odd values of n, is there a neater way to do this?
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    I have just said for even numbers of n, that is, n/2 [tex]\in[/tex]Z and for odd numbers, that is n/2[tex]\notin[/tex]Z to distinguish between the two cases.

Im still thinking through part b.) so any help is welcomed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?