Perpendicular Lines in 3 Space

In summary, to find a line that is perpendicular to two given lines, you can find the corresponding vectors for each line and take their cross product. To find the point on the new line, you can solve for t values by setting the dot product of the vector between the two points and the given line vectors to 0. Then, you can use these t values to find the final point and vector for the new line.
yourmom98
i am given parametric equations of 2 lines L1 and L2 and i am asked to find the vector, parametric and symmetric equation of a line that intersects these 2 lines at 90 degrees so a line that is perpendicular to those 2 lines. how do i go about this? at first i tried converting the parametric equation to a vector equation to get the value of vector a cause p vector = a vector + t(b vector) and then cross multiplying the two a vectors. but then i realized that the a vectors don't have the same direction and that the line and the a vector are totally different things so ... how do i go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your vector equation will read [itex]\vec r(t) = \vec a+ \vec b t [/itex], you can take [itex]\vec a[/tex] as any point on the line and [itex]\vec b[/tex] as the difference between any two distinct points on the line.

i know how to get values of vector b but i don't understand how to do the calculations. i don't know how to find the a line that intersects 2 other lines and at a 90 degree angle...

Oh, I'm sorry, I misread the question. You want to find the corresponding vectors [itex]\vec b[/itex] for these two lines and then take their cross product. As for a, it's unclear where they want you to put this line, but if the lines interect and they want it to pass through this point, just take that point as your [itex]\vec a[/itex].

okay if i do a cross product of the b vectors i will get a line that is perpendicular to both of the line but only at the origin. the line does not have to necessarily come across the origin right? so this would be the like B value of my 3rd line right? now then they want me to put the line so it intersects the given 2 lines at a 90 degree angle. so how do i do that?

I see, so you want the line to intersect both given lines, at two different points if these lines don't themselves intersect, and in addition for it to be perpendicular to both lines. Sorry I repeatedly didn't read the question properly. I've been a little distracted.

So, one thing you could do is look at the set of all vectors between the two lines. That is, if the equation for L1 is [itex] \vec a_1 + \vec b_1 t_1[/itex] and similarly for L2, then look at the set [itex] \vec a_1 -\vec a_2+ \vec b_1 t_1-\vec b_2 t_2[/itex]. Now you want to solve for [itex]t_1[/itex] and [itex]t_2[/itex] at which this vector is perpendicular to both [itex] \vec b_1 [/itex] and [itex] \vec b_2 [/itex], that is [itex] \vec b_1 \cdot (\vec a_1 -\vec a_2+ \vec b_1 t_1-\vec b_2 t_2) =\vec b_2 \cdot (\vec a_1 -\vec a_2+ \vec b_1 t_1-\vec b_2 t_2) =0[/itex]. Then you can just plug in these values to get [itex] \vec a[/itex] (the point on L1 at t1 or L2 ar t2) and [itex] \vec b[/itex] (the diference between these two points).

Last edited:
its aliright but i still have one more question. i do not understand how you got this:
[itex] \vec a_1 -\vec a_2+ \vec b_1 t_1-\vec b_2 t_2[/itex]

I just subtracted the vector from the point on L1 at t1 to the point on L2 at t2. This is then the vector between the two points, or equivalently, the b vector for a line that intersects both points.

What are perpendicular lines in 3 space?

Perpendicular lines in 3 space are two lines that intersect at a 90 degree angle and do not lie on the same plane. This means that they are neither parallel nor coincident.

How can I determine if two lines in 3 space are perpendicular?

Two lines in 3 space are perpendicular if the dot product of their direction vectors is equal to 0. This means that the cosine of the angle between the two lines is 0, indicating a 90 degree angle.

Can two lines in 3 space be perpendicular if they are not parallel or coincident?

Yes, two lines in 3 space can be perpendicular without being parallel or coincident. As long as they intersect at a 90 degree angle and do not lie on the same plane, they are considered perpendicular.

What is the significance of perpendicular lines in 3 space?

Perpendicular lines in 3 space are important in many areas of mathematics and physics. They are used to define right angles, calculate distances and angles between objects, and solve equations involving vectors and planes.

What are some real-life examples of perpendicular lines in 3 space?

Some examples of perpendicular lines in 3 space include the corner of a room where two walls meet, a ladder leaning against a wall, and the intersection of two streets on a map.