Finding Normal Components of a Plane Perpendicular to a Line in 3-Space

In summary: So in this case, the normal is (7,4,9) which is the vector normal to the line x=3+6t, y=7+4t, and z=7-9t.
Aliboy

Homework Statement

A plane is perpendicular to the line given by x=3+6t, Y=7+4t, and z=7-9t. What are the components of the normal to the plane

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what the question is asking me all I have figured out that the normal should be parallel to the perpendicular line, but I can't find the normal from the parametric.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aliboy said:

Homework Statement

A plane is perpendicular to the line given by x=3+6t, Y=7+4t, and z=7-9t. What are the components of the normal to the plane

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what the question is asking me all I have figured out that the normal should be parallel to the perpendicular line, but I can't find the normal from the parametric.

You can find the tangent vector to the parametric, right? What is it? Then sure, that should be parallel to the normal. Do you want a unit normal vector?

The only thing I don't understand is finding the tangent vector, all my book and teacher have told me is how to find the vector orthogonal to the plane.

Aliboy said:
The only thing I don't understand is finding the tangent vector, all my book and teacher have told me is how to find the vector orthogonal to the plane.

The tangent vector to the parametric curve (x(t),y(t),z(t)) is the derivative with respect to t of that. It's (x'(t),y'(t),z'(t)). What is that?

So 6,4,-9?
So the answer would be <6,4,-9>

Aliboy said:
So 6,4,-9?
So the answer would be <6,4-9>

That's a normal vector to your plane alright. Any multiple of that is also a normal, yes? Do they want any specific one? That's why I asked if you want a 'unit normal'.

I guess that should do I just don't understand the conceptual behind it.

Aliboy said:
I guess that should do I just don't understand the conceptual behind it.

When you said, "I have figured out that the normal should be parallel to the perpendicular line" then that pretty much sums it up. Finding a vector tangent to the perpendicular line will then give you a normal. Just as you did.

Thank you very much it actually makes sense now.

Part of your problem is shown here:
Aliboy said:

A plane doesn't have "the tangent vector". Every line in the plane gives a tangent vector. A plane is completely determined by a single point and a vector normal to the plane.

1. What is meant by "normal components" in relation to a plane?

The normal components of a plane refer to the two vectors that are perpendicular to the plane and form a right angle with each other. These vectors are used to define the orientation and direction of the plane.

2. Why is it important to find the normal components of a plane perpendicular to a line?

Finding the normal components allows us to determine the relationship between a line and a plane in 3-dimensional space. It also helps us to calculate the distance between the line and the plane, and to determine if the line intersects the plane.

3. How do you find the normal components of a plane perpendicular to a line?

The normal components of a plane perpendicular to a line can be found by taking the cross product of the direction vector of the line and a vector that lies in the plane. This will result in two vectors that are perpendicular to the line and form a right angle with each other, representing the normal components of the plane.

4. Can the normal components of a plane be negative?

Yes, the normal components of a plane can be negative. This indicates that the plane is facing in the opposite direction of the positive normal vectors. It is important to pay attention to the signs of the components when using them in calculations.

5. How is finding the normal components of a plane related to the concept of orthogonality?

The normal components of a plane are perpendicular to each other, which means they are also orthogonal. Orthogonality is a fundamental concept in mathematics and physics, and it is essential for understanding the relationship between different geometric objects in 3-dimensional space.