1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation approximation of the period of a pendulum

1. May 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the perturbation approximation of the following in terms of powers of θ0.
    [tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{8L}{g}}\int^{\theta_0}_{0} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{cos\theta - cos\theta_0}}[/tex]
    It is helpful to first perform the change of variable u = θ/θ0 in the integral

2. Relevant equations

so the relevant equations are the taylor expansion of θ0, which would be
    θ000+εθ012 θ02/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    so then making the change of variable suggested, we have
    [tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{8L}{g}}\int^{\theta_0}_{0} \frac{\theta_0 du}{\sqrt{cos(u\theta_0) - cos\theta_0}}[/tex]
    is it correct to say that the perturbation approximation is then
    [tex]\frac{\theta_0_0 + \epsilon \theta_0_1+
    \frac{\epsilon^2 \theta_0_2}{2}...}{\sqrt{cos(u\theta_0_0)-\epsilon sin(u\theta_0_1)-\epsilon^2cos(u\theta_0_2)-cost\theta_0_0)-\epsilon sin(theta_0_1)-\epsilon^2cos(\theta_0_2)...-cos\theta_0}}=0[/tex]

or am i doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Huh?! :confused:

What are [itex]\theta_{0_0}[/itex], [itex]\theta_{0_1}[/itex] and [itex]\theta_{0_2}[/itex] supposed to represent?

What you have written seems nonsensical to me.

The way I would interpret the question is that you are supposed to Taylor expand the integrand about the point [itex]\theta=\theta_0[/itex], then integrate your Taylor Series term by term in order to end up with a series of the form:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n \theta_0^n[/tex]

that represents your integral.

4. May 18, 2009 #3
    i erroneously thought that the
    θ00+εθ01+ε2 θ02/2
    terms represented the expansion about θ0.

so then following the help you gave, the expansion of the integrand would be
    following Taylor series:
    f(0)+f'(0)+f''(0)... where we only go the second order since the original problem asks us to go to O(θ2) (I forgot to list this in the original question).
    we get
    [tex]\frac{\theta_0}{\sqrt{cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0}}+\frac{2 (cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)-\theta_0(sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)}{2 (cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^{3/2}}*\theta_0 [/tex]
    [tex]+ \frac{2 (cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^{3/2}[(sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)-\theta_0(cos\theta_0-u^2cosu\theta_0)]-6[(cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)-\theta_0(sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)]((sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)(cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^{1/2}}{4(cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^3}[/tex]
    of course, last term would also be multiplied by θ02/2.when substituting in 0 for fn, however, everything becomes zero, so what did i do wrong?

5. May 18, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you know [itex]0\leq u\leq 1[/itex] for your entire integration interval, try expanding [itex]f(u)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0)}}[/itex] about [itex]u=0[/itex] instead.

6. May 18, 2009 #5
    So the expansion of
    [tex]
    f(u)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0)}}[/tex]
    about u=0 gives:
    f(u)+θ0f'(u)+θ02/2
    yielding
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0}}+\frac{u\sin(u\theta_0)}{2 (\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0)^{3/2}}+\frac{\sin(u\theta_0)+u^2\cos(u\theta_0))(\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0))+\frac{3}{2}u^2\sin^2(u\theta_0)}{4(\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0)^{3/2}}[/tex]
    thus about u=0, everything but the first term becomes 0, giving:
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\cos(\theta_0)}}}[/tex]
    how can we solve about bigOH(θ02)?

7. May 18, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, the expansion about [itex]u=0[/itex] is:

[tex]f(u)=f(0)+f'(0)u+\frac{f''(0)}{2!}u^2+\frac{f'''(0)}{3!}u^3+\ldots[/tex]

And since [itex]f(u)[/itex] is a function of [itex]u[/itex], the differentiation is with respect to [itex]u[/itex], not [itex]\theta_0[/itex].

8. May 18, 2009 #7
    I think I finally understand it, then we use the fact that u=θ/θ0, and rewrite the expansion in terms of θ0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook