Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbative Treatment on Diatomic Hydrogen Molecule

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    Hello Everyone! I need help on this topic. Can anyone provide me some details on how to solve the problem? Thanks..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    As I recall, the hydrogen molecule (and maybe also the hydrogen molecular ion) problems are solved in the quantum mechanics book by Pauling and Wilson.
    Bob S

[added] Pauling and Wilson, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, Mcgraw Hill (1935). See the following pages
    Hydrogen molecule, page 340
    Excited states of hydrogen molecule, page 353
    Hydrogen molecule ion, page 327

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  5. Nov 11, 2009 #4

alxm

Science Advisor

As an aside, the best method (as in - most accurate for the computational complexity) is the now seldom-seen Hylleraas variational approach (applied to helium in 1929), which works for two electrons but not that well for many more. The method was used to calculate hydrogen http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JCPSA6000001000012000825000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes" [Broken], with a result that was far better than perturbatory calculations could do at that time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Nov 13, 2009 #5
    Hey thanks for the link. I think the file has the information i need. Unfortunately i dont have an access to download the file. =) Just in case you have another link to that file perhaps you can post it. =)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Nov 13, 2009 #6
    Thanks! I just borrowed that book and I will read it. I'll try to understand the book. I will post some questions just in case I cant understand some parts of it. =) Thanks again. Just in case you have any other info about the topic, please feel free to post it because it would really be a great help. =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook