PF demographics, where do you live?

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, the majority of people on this forum believe that the United States is the country most deserving of the title of " PF superpower."

What country are you from?

• Total voters
The UK got it's own listing. And what are they known for? Bland food and bad weather.

Physics news on Phys.org
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Can you extend it to 11 options then or more? I agree, but I couldn't separate them out because of a 10 option limit, I did seriously consider India but could not include it.

I also considered China and Japan for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure if there are a lot of Chinese posters, I may be wrong :smile:

My original list had 14 options. hehe.
It looks like 10 is the maximum.

Not to mention "Middle East," which is part of Asia. ;-)

Evo said:
The UK got it's own listing. And what are they known for? Bland food and bad weather.

Actually we have some of the highest rated chefs in the world, not only that but we exported much of our cuisine to France in the Middle ages and renaisance, which they then proceeded to perfect. Our food is not bland, it's generally practical, but never bland, this is a myth. Unless steak and Kidney pie in beer gravy is bland, or sausage and mash, or Beef Wellington. Let's face it our food is now so combined with European cuisine that it is no longer just our food. And our favourite take away food curry, is certainly not bland. In fact our food is perhaps most comparable to US food in that it is a huge melting pot of cultural cuisine.

neutrino said:

Yes I'm well aware that the Middle East is part of Asia, but politically it is not usually included in it's population figures, just as Russia is never included in Asia's population figures. In fact the population of North Asia is 0 :biggrin:. Believe me I know my weird political deliniations. I think the ME deserved it's own category, you're welcome to disagree though.

If you want to get really geographical Europe isn't really a truly separate continent as such, and geographically India is not part of the Asian plate. I could of gone into the ins and outs, but frankly I didn't have all day :smile:

Evo said:
It looks like 10 is the maximum.

It is but some forums vboards specifically can add to the maximum, I wasn't sure about this one? But I have put up polls with 24 options where the maximum was 16, with moderator permission. Ie they added the extra ones. It's hard to know how forums work.

Plus you'd probably have to have some sort of programming knowledge.

Anyway 10's fine and I expected some people to be disgruntled, but then you do better with 10 :tongue:

Last edited:
neutrino said:
And Africa.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Actually we have some of the highest rated chefs in the world, not only that but we exported much of our cuisine to France in the Middle ages and renaisance, which they then proceeded to perfect. Our food is not bland, it's generally practical, but never bland, this is a myth. Unless steak and Kidney pie in beer gravy is bland, or sausage and mash, or Beef Wellington. Let's face it our food is now so combined with European cuisine that it is no longer just our food. And our favourite take away food curry, is certainly not bland.
I'm kidding, my grandmother was British and every sunday we had roast beef and yorkshire pudding. :!) She made a great steak and kidney pie.

morphism said:
And Africa.

Thanks. And Africa. :)

Evo said:
I'm kidding, my grandmother was British and every sunday we had roast beef and yorkshire pudding. :!)
That's what I miss about living with my parents-- the amazing roasts (not even necessarily on sundays). I did get to go to this carvery last week after my graduation which served gorgeous glazed gammon, beef and chicken, along with huge yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes and about 6 kinds of veg...mmm.. that was a great meal!

Evo said:
I'm kidding, my grandmother was British and every sunday we had roast beef and yorkshire pudding. :!) She made a great steak and kidney pie.

:smile: Ah I love a good steak and kidney pie, with proper steak from a butchers and proper kidney, the gravy itself is perhaps the finest most flavoursome gravy I've ever tasted, I could drink it on it's own :smile: if I ever meet a girl who can make great steak and kidney pie, I think I'll marry her :biggrin:

morphism said:
And Africa.

I could of done it by continental plates, but I think we'd all know where that would lead.

Eurasia
Africa
Central/South America
India and perhaps small parts of other countries
Australasia

Let's not even go there :smile:

Last edited:
dontdisturbmycircles said:
Lots of people here wear a toque eh?

Danger said:
Aye, laddie.

As do I, in the winter.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Just looking at a thread in Forum feedback and someone asked whether this was a mainly American website or multi national, knowing it is fairly multinational I wondered how multinational is PF?
The UK belongs to the European Union !

arildno said:
Norway is NOT a country like any other, Norway has a king, hooray for the King, don't say a damn word about our king, or else, you'll get the leidang after you.
:rofl:

Like Belgium, Spain, the Netherlands, Sweden, etc etc

marlon

I voted US, the low point on planet Earth where all the loose nuts end up.

Monique said:
Here is the thread of a previous poll: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=6714 Let's see how much it has changed.

2 pages of people *****ing about the poll options :smile:

You could have separated Canada and US, where's my country? Why can't we have 87939 poll options, why is Australia part of the world? :smile:

Oh and there are 194 countries in the world, 193 in the US because it doesn't recognise Palestine as a country, 192 in the UN as it also doesn't recognise Vatican city, which is not a member. I just checked.

Bumped because I refuse to accept there are no Australians on this forum :smile:

Africa maybe not, but Australia?

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Bumped because I refuse to accept there are no Australians on this forum :smile:

Africa maybe not, but Australia?

Cusp is from Australia. And Wallace?

Evo said:

You forgot bad teeth.

George Jones said:
As do I, in the winter.

Right. Damn Maritimers... you have other seasons out there. :grumpy:

Now then, why haven't Scorpa and ShawnD chirped up yet? I know that there are a lot more of us out there.

Last edited:
Danger said:
You forgot bad teeth.
Right. Damn Maritimers... you have other seasons out there. :grumpy:

Now then, why haven't Scorpa and ShawnD chirped up yet? I know that there are a lot more of us out there.

Yes bad teeth? Odd one this but a reality obviously? :biggrin:

Characteristics we are known for.

Famous for being able to mock ourselves, in fact we are renowned for it and our humour is almost entirely based on it.

Famous for losing our sense of patriotism to common sense. Nationalism is akin to a swear word, we detest it.

Famous for loving banter, Our teeth are long enough and misshapen enough to bite through our stiff upper lip :smile:

Anyway this nonsense but fun stuff aside why aren't the Aussies voting then? I love Aussies, they have a love of banter and sarcasm second to none but the Canadians?

Danger Canadian humour is so good that if I ever left England your country would be my first port of call. :smile:

Kids in The Hall:

We only get Montreal comedy festival these days, it's sad because we get every US comedy show going but not yours? Don't get me wrong US comedy is great but I'd like to see more from you guys too.

Last edited by a moderator:
you meant plurality i presume.

mathwonk said:
you meant plurality i presume.
:confused:

mbrmbrg said:
Are we talking about Candian humor? Oh boy! Bulbous Bouffant!

Thanks love it. Any more? Absurd humour is perhaps something we share.

Mukluks? Morlocks?

:rofl:

Dom Joly.

Who can argue with the Physics in Transit Inc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, I want to know if that van was photoshopped or someone really drives around with a "Psychos in Transit" van. That's great!