PF Hockey Pool Championship: Guess Matches & Win Glory!

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
In summary: I guess you must. Especially since you put the...:rolleyes:In summary, these are the 13 matches that will be played in the Olympic Winter Games hockey pool championship. You have a chance to win by predicting how they will end.
EL
Science Advisor
The Olympic Winter Games are closing in, and especially the hockey looks thrilling, so why not have a PF hockey pool championship! Find below 13 highly interesting matches to analyze. Check out the rules, fill in the form, and you might win eternal fame and glory!

Form:

Tournament winner:

Total number of goals scored in the matches above:

Matches:

Wednesday, Feb. 15
1. Russia vs. Slovakia

Thursday, Feb. 16
2. Sweden vs. Russia

Saturday, Feb. 18
3. Italy vs. Germany
4. Slovakia vs. United States
5. Czech Republic vs. Finland

Sunday, Feb. 19
6. Germany vs. Switzerland
7. United States vs. Sweden
8. Finland vs. Canada

Tuesday, Feb. 21
9. Latvia vs. Kazakhstan
10. Switzerland vs. Italy
11. Canada vs. Czech Republic
12. Sweden vs. Slovakia
13.United States vs. Russia

Rules:
* In each match, indicate how you think it will end:
1 = First team wins.
X = Draw.
2 = Second team wins.
* It is the result after 3*20min which counts, i.e. sudden death and sudden death penalties are not included. (Anyway, I’m not sure if there really will be any of those in case of a draw, have to check the tournament rules…)
* The person who manages to guess most matches correctly wins.
* In case there are several persons with the same number of correct matches, the mutual order is determined according to:
1) In first hand, the person who tipped most X:es (no matter if they turned out to be correct or not) beats the others.
2) In second hand, the person who correctly guessed the winner of the whole tournament beats the others.
3) In third hand, the person who makes the closest guess about how many goals will be scored in total in the 13 matches above, beats the others. (Sudden death goals and sudden death penalty goals do not count.)
* The pool closes 24 hours before the first game (Russia vs. Slovakia) starts. Until that, feel free to edit your form anytime.
* Anyone with more than one form will be disqualified.
* These rules may be edited so please keep an eye on them. The latest version always holds.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. 1
2. 1
3. 1
4. 1
5. 1
6. 1
7. 1
8. 1
9. 1
10. 1
11. 1
12. 1
13. 1

Tournament winner: Italy

Total number of goals scored in the matches above: 5

1. 1 -Russia
2. 1- Sweden
3. 2- Germany
4. 1- Slovakia
5. 1- Czech
6. 1- Germany
7. 2- Sweden
8. 2- Canada
9. 1- Latvia
10. 1- Switzerland
11. 1- Canada
12. 1- Sweden
13. 2- Russia

Tournament winner: Canada
Total number of goals scored in the matches above: 64

I really don't get the significance of these 13 games, when there are something like 30 total round robin games.

ek said:
I really don't get the significance of these 13 games, when there are something like 30 total round robin games.

Well, here is the full schedule: http://proicehockey.about.com/od/international/a/06_olympic_men.htm
As you say there are really 30 matches. However I found nothing interesting with games like "United States vs. Kazakhstan" or "Czech Republic vs. Italy".
The 13 picked games are the only where top plays top, or where bottom plays bottom, in the case the teams are ranked according to
Top:Canada, Czech Republic, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, USA, Russia,
Bottom:Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Latvia, Kazakhstan,
which I hope everyone could agree on...

Just a reminder about this pool!
Less than a month left now.

Everyone who wants to participate, please fill in a form. Feel free to edit it until just before the tournament starts!

1. 1 -Russia
2. 1- Sweden
3. 2- Germany
4. 1- Slovakia
5. 1- Czech
6. 1- Germany
7. 2- Sweden
8. 2- Canada
9. 1- Latvia
10. 1- Switzerland
11. 1- Canada
12. 1- Sweden
13. 2- Russia

Total number of goals scored in the matches above: 64

Form:
1. 2 (Slovakia)
2. 1 (Sweden)
3. 2 (Germany)
4. 2 (United States)
5. 2 (Finland)
6. 2 (Switzerland)
7. 2 (Sweden)
8. 1 (Finland)
9. 1 (Latvia)
10. 1 (Switzerland)
11. 1 (Canada)
12. 1 (Sweden)
13. 1 (United States)
Total number of goals scored in the matches above: 67

Last edited:
EL said:
Your guess is statistically impossible. :confused:

BobG said:
Your guess is statistically impossible. :confused:
:rolleyes: Ouch...well it's just to give you a chance...:wink:

EL said:
:rolleyes: Ouch...well it's just to give you a chance...:wink:
Yeah, we'll see how loud you say ouch when you 'cleverly' decide to edit your prediction the day before the tournament starts. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Form:
1. X (tie)
2. 1 (Sweden)
3. 2 (Germany)
4. 2 (United States)
5. 2 (Finland)
6. 2 (Switzerland)
7. 2 (Sweden)
8. 1 (Finland)
9. 1 (Latvia)
10. 1 (Switzerland)
11. 1 (Canada)
12. X (tie)
13. 1 (United States)

BobG said:
Yeah, we'll see how loud you say ouch when you 'cleverly' decide to edit your prediction the day before the tournament starts. :smile: :smile: :smile:

No no, I really think Italy will win the gold!:wink:

Last edited:
tribdog said:
Form:
1. X (tie)

...and about to be DQ...:rolleyes:

EL said:
No no, I really think Italy will win the gold!:wink:
I guess you must. Especially since you put the part about editing your form in boldface:
* The pool closes 24 hours before the first game (Russia vs. Slovakia) starts. Until that, feel free to edit your form anytime.

And that's the only acceptable way to change your predictions, because:

* Anyone with more than one form will be disqualified.

I think you might have to edit the rules:
* These rules may be edited so please keep an eye on them. The latest version always holds.

Oh, wait, you might have the same problems editing the rules that you do editing your predictions. You won't be able to find the "Edit" button. :smile: :smile:

BobG said:
Oh, wait, you might have the same problems editing the rules that you do editing your predictions. You won't be able to find the "Edit" button. :smile: :smile:

Wow, wtf!:eek:
Actually I've never noticed the "edit"-buttons dissapear. I'm embarrased now:redface: :redface: :redface:

Guess I just have to make another pool then...

1. Can anyone participate in the PF Hockey Pool Championship?

Yes, the PF Hockey Pool Championship is open to anyone who is interested in participating. It is a global competition and there are no restrictions on who can join.

2. How do I join the PF Hockey Pool Championship?

To join the PF Hockey Pool Championship, you can sign up on the official website or through the designated mobile app. You will need to provide your personal information and create a username and password to access your account.

3. How do I guess the matches for the PF Hockey Pool Championship?

Once you have joined the PF Hockey Pool Championship, you will have access to the upcoming hockey matches and can make your predictions for each match. You can also change your predictions up until the deadline for each match.

4. How are the winners determined in the PF Hockey Pool Championship?

The winner of the PF Hockey Pool Championship is determined by the total points earned throughout the competition. Points are awarded based on the accuracy of your match predictions. The participant with the highest number of points at the end of the championship will be declared the winner.

5. What are the prizes for the winners of the PF Hockey Pool Championship?

The prizes for the PF Hockey Pool Championship vary and may include cash prizes, gift cards, or other rewards. The specific prizes will be announced on the official website before the start of the competition. Prizes will be awarded to the top participants with the most points at the end of the championship.